Bindel Farms

  (Spencer, Ohio)
Life on our farm
[ Member listing ]

Thanksgiving, Pork and quince

Things have been pretty busy over here as usual at the farm. We managed to get through the Thanksgiving holiday without any problems and everyone is very happy with their turkeys.  I have been receiving a steady flow of good comments coming back as I normally do.

We had a great Thanksgiving dinner with family and enjoyed a 16# pastured turkey.

Our customers had a great selection of turkeys to chose from.  We had everything from a 12#-33# turkey available.

Last weekend, we loaded our first batch of pigs onto the trailer without any problems to take into the butcher and still have two more sets to go before mid December.  Our customers are getting excited about receiving their pork shares this month. This weekend we will be loading another set of pigs on our trailer to take to the butcher Tuesday .  Hopefully this will go well.

We also managed to round up one of our extra boars that we sold to a local farmer.  He has been sold since late October but I have been to busy to get him.  He was out on pasture running with the rest of the feeders. He also likes to jump fences so it was a chore to round him up onto the trailer.

I am trying to make some time in my busy schedule to make a quince jam from a recipe I found on line.  I received a bag of pineapple quince from a local orchard we know and have yet to have time to make anything with them.


Turkey harvest on the farm

The Sunday before Thanksgiving is always an exiciting and extremely busy time on the farm! This is when all of our CSA members comes out to the farm and pick up their turkey for Thanksgiving.  They also come to tour the farm and see the animals, especially the new piglets which were just born a week ago.

Saturday started at 5 AM when I needed to get some turkey order out that morning to people who celebrate Thanksgiving early. Needless to say from the picture above that we had a heavy frost and temps in the mid 20's. So that sent me looking for an alternative garden hose since the one outside was frozen even though I drained it- must not have been good enough.  The propane tank from my scalder would not seal properly either and the plucker of course needed to be adjusted at that time.

After the turkeys, I had to finish up chicken orders for people who had not shown up for their CSA order previous weeks back.  By then half the day was already gone and don't forget to throw in farm tours for almost every person that arrived that day.

By that afternoon, I had already decided that instead of waking up at 3 in the morning I would start at 5 PM that evening and work until the 27 turkey orders were finish.  So with help from my brother, we started the processing of the rest CSA order which people would be picking up that next day.

 And don't forget, I also had a guy who wanted to buy my breeder boar stop by and drop off his trailer so I can load him whe I had the time. I guarantee that it certainly would not be that day.

The evening and night included walking 1/4 mile, well not really, about 300 fett to pick up our pizza since the delivery man would not come any farther since we were processing turkeys.  It even included a 3 AM trip to the gas station ten miles away for another tank of propane. You should have seen the look on the woman's face who was the clerk at the stastion when I came strolling in my soaking wet processing clothes and muck boots to purchase the replacement tank!

Needless to say that since temps were in the high 20's, scalding became a bear since we had trouble getting the birds to the right temps to get the feathers out. A lot of those bird were also toms and they were pushing the high 20's to 30 pound range also so it was hard to get them into the turkey fryer a.k.a.poultry scalder.

By the time I had finished, it was already 6 AM Sunday and once I took a shower and got into bed, I only had about 1/2 hour sleep before it was time to package 40 dozen eggs for our customers who would be arriving sometime between 8 AM and 3 PM that day. Needless to say that I was extremely tired and it felt like I had a hangover even though I did not drink the night before. Donald Duck could have showed up at our farm for a visit and would not have remember him as I was that tired. I'm just kidding but there are a few customers that I don't remember showing up but they said they were there when I called them the next day asking.

So after a wonderful turkey dinner at my mother's house it was time to check a few emails back at the farm and hit the sack at 9:30 PM ending my 40+ hour day.

I still have 15 or so turkeys to be done during the week before Thanksgiving but I should able to handle that by myself.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!



Turkey Season!!!

  Here we are again near the end of the year and coming into one of the busiest weeks for our farm. Turkey Season!!!

This time of year is alway busy and hectic for us on the farm as our customers anticipated purchasing their centerpiece for their Thanksgiving table.  Our Pastured Turkey!!! 

Unlike most farms around our area, we chose to raise the Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys breed.  I know! I know! The picture above is our Bourbon Reds as I did not have a picture available at the time of this posting.

The broad breasted  bronze is an awesome breed to raise compare to the white. They are a beautiful majestic turkey! The colors of these turkeys are so beautiful! Metalic sheens of green and copper against black feathers. In my opinion, these birds can almost past as a wild turkey if it was not for their double breast.

So while we work to get these turkeys out to our customers, I would like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving Day!!!!!



Piglets are born!!!

Sometime early this morning in the cold frosty air of November, our piglets from our one sow was born.

Our other sow is expected to give birth today so I will be posting more pictures of those too.

More pictures can be viewed on our facebook page.


Hectic week and our piglets soon to be born!

This week has been very hectic with the tropical storm!  Trying to get everything done that needs to be done before the sun goes down in the rain and the wind has not been very easy. (I mean daylight!  We haven't seen the sun itself in over a week!) Our farm received about 7 inches of rain and though it did not flood, it is still very swampy. We were lucky to not sustain damage from the 70 MPH wind gusts and were also lucky to still have electric power.  There are places around us that have been out for almost a week.

We are also eagerly awaiting the births of our new piglets!!!! 

If you would have asked me Thursday when the pigs would be born, I would have told you around November 13 but in all reality, we will be expecting them this coming week.  You ask how could this be?  Well, I did not mark the calendar correctly. So now that I notice my pigs udders are developing and other physical and behavior changes are taking place, we are desparately throwing up an acre of electric fencing and two hoop houses so I can separate them from our boar.

I also found out this weekend that the farmer that I normally go to at the corner of our street for straw decided to sell it out from under me.  This would not be a problem in a normal year but this year as I have just found out, straw has doubled in price and it might have well be gold!  Instead of paying $2.50 per bale like I had originally reserve earlier this year, we are now paying $5.00 a bale and I am excpected to go through at least 50-100 bales this winter. You will now ask why did we not pick it up it earlier this year?  One reason is that we have no place to keep it.  We do not own a barn as of yet so it would have just sat outside in the weather.  The other is that we know them and they said it would not be a problem keeping it there.  I guess we learned a lesson this weekend! 

I will leave you with a picture of a very pregnant Tamworth pig!

Fingers crossed that we will have a great number in the litters.

RSS feed for Bindel Farms blog. Right-click, copy link and paste into your newsfeed reader