1 cup sugar
½ cup butter, softened
1 ¾ cup mashed pumpkin
¼ cup buttermilk
3 cups whole wheat/unbleached flour
1 Tbsp. Baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the sugar and butter together in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in pumpkin and buttermilk.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg into the pumpkin mixture, beating until smooth. The batter will be stiff.
4. Spray two 12-cup muffin pans with butter-flavored spray. Divide the batter among the 24 cups and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and tester comes out clean. Cool the muffins for a few minutes on a wire rack.
5. For the topping, mix the sugar and cinnamon. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, generously brush the tops with butter and roll in the cinnamon and sugar. Cook on the wire rack and serve.
Posted by Ken & Heather Anne @ 03:00 PM EST