Okay, so I got bitten by the "I-wanna-keep-bees" bug last summer. I've been studying all about them and after pricing beehives from several different sources, I decided to build my own hives. It was going to be EXPENSIVE to get two hives set up, and the fact that I'm doing a little different twist on these hives made the decision easier.
A sort-of local sawmill (about 40 miles away) had dressed and kiln dried pine boards that were 1x8x8. The Subaru veggie wagon was loaded! The owner of the sawmill ended up giving me several extra boards that were odd lengths--lucky me The lumber has been stacked in the dining room to keep it nice and dry. Construction began a few days ago:
First, all the boards are cut into the proper lengths for the sides of the boxes.
Then all the boards get ripped to the right width for the medium box depth. It's easier for me to rip the short boards rather than try to rip a long board.
After getting all the boards cut to size it was time to glue and screw. I bought some star bit exterior tan-colored screws to fasten the boxes together. A good smearing of wood glue is applied and clamps to hold the boards in place while fastening is necessary. A small framing square is very helpful which pilot drilling and inserting screws at the corners.
A word of advice: Do not cut the tip of your forefinger on a cardboard box while Christmas shopping with your mother the day before attempting this project. It really makes it harder to do all this detailed work with an "ow-ie" on your finger. Anyway, as the boxes were completed, they were stacked back in the dining room, only they take up a lot more room than they did as a stack of lumber!
I'm making 6 boxes for each hive and one extra box to make a swarm box for the swarm of bees I'll find next year
I also put together an entire case of frames (100) --they are everywhere, just waiting for the boxes to be painted.
Next come the "quilts"......
Posted by Terry
@ 06:39 AM CST