Fleecewood Farm

  (Hastings, Minnesota)
MERINO...WOOL at its finest

alone on the farm

How fast the time flies.  Its been a busy spring. My husband was out of the country for a month- and I was left to finish lambing and care for a brand new litter of Aussie pups-( 8 to be exact)- on my own. Each day brought new challenges, but to my surprise I was able to handle them all.

  Like one of my best ewes getting sick after lambing and never recovering.  When she died  I had to shear her on my own.  So wouldn't you know that the shears would burn out in the middle of the task.  I had to improvise with a pair of our clippers that I used to use for my sons hair years ago. It didn't quite have the power to handle the task- and it ended up taking me an hour and a half to get the fleece off !  But it was worth it- a beautiful brown gray, with few second cuts.  And then another crushing blow, when her daughter, who I was bottle feeding, finally joined the others on pasture, only to die the second day out. Tears again.

My pups kept things exciting. We had so much rain that instead of being outside, they had to stay in our basement for awhile. They taught each other how to go up the steps and then would have races to see who would get to the top first.     The gate was another obstacle they figured out. If one pup pushed against it, it wouldn't move.  But teamwork led to success and freedom.      When they were able to go out into the yard they started to dig an escape route next to the fence; thinking I wouldn't notice. I'd fill it up, and they would make another.      Then there was the time I needed to train 2 pups how to spend some time in a kennel since one would be flying to his new home.  Logan adjusted well and didn't mind sleeping inside.  Greyson was another story altogether.  I wasn't too concerned since he was going to a local home.  I had them both in their own crates and was busy in the kitchen, one room over.  How surprised I was when Greyson was suddenly at my feet, wiggiling and looking pretty pleased with himself.  He had figured out how to open the door of the cage!

Anyway, this is just to let you know that we are a little behind on our schedule. Normally the latest we shear is in June.  But this year we are already into July- and you know how hot it has been.  So tomorrow is the day we have finally locked in.  So it won't be long and my store will be filled up with fleeces again.  So come back and check us out in a few weeks.



Bookmark:    add to del.icio.us del.icio.us   add to technorati Technorati   add to Digg Digg   add to Google Google   add to stumbleupon StumbleUpon

Post a Comment:
Comments are closed for this entry.

RSS feed for Fleecewood Farm blog. Right-click, copy link and paste into your newsfeed reader