It all started when we decided it was time to claim the firewood we'd stacked from cutting down some trees last summer. It was time to haul it up to the front of the yard nearer the house so that my dad has something to do when he visits (He's a professional wood-chopper, in case you didn't know).
We'd hooked up the tractor to our trailer and things were moving along smoothly...at first.
I'd cut about four trees to make access to the wetlands and the brook just after we moved in last summer, so the pile was somewhere between 1-2 cords and it will be perfectly seasoned for heating and cooking. We'd had a lot of rain, but drainage seemed to be no problem. Things were relatively dry and we did not overload the trailer so as to avoid getting stuck. (It did start to mist, hence our hats!)
While Liev and I piled wood, Violet roamed about looking for flowers.
She found quite an assortment. I think that she ended up feeding them to her brother's steer, Mr. Greenshoes, who was watching on as we worked.
Liev helped load and then took his position at the front of the wagon ready to make the drive up to the house with the wood. He's tipping his hat to Mommy as she takes some photos.
After loading a few times and being sacked by thousands of tiny black ants, Liev decided a change in job was due...Check out his new green web belt! My favorite of all belts!
We'd made great progress. As you can see below, the wood pile was almost gone. I think it took us about 4 or 5 trips as we did not want to put too much weight into the tired and old, yet rustic trailer.
We'd made a small rut in the mud with all the loads coming and going, but we had not gotten stuck. In fact, we were mentioning this wonderous fact when...
We had moved all the wood. I'd removed my cap as the rain ceased. And we decided that we would take one more "joy ride" around the field. This time the mud got us!
I think that the problem was that the trailer's axle had dug deep into the mud, but I tried a series of back-and-forths in a vain attempt to unstick the tractor. No such luck. I also think that we need to get a better set of tires on the tractor, but that is for another day. (Check out that nice new exhaust system!)
Luckily, all was not lost. The kids had a joyous time romping in the muck, even as the trailer sank deeper and deeper.
In the end, it took a substitute driver (Erica) and a whole mess of chains and come-alongs to pull the tractor out. We have the whole works anchored to the tree on the far left of the photo. A small cherry tree, in fact. We almost had one more tree for firewood, but it held in the end and we pulled the tractor to dry land.
A small family victory as nightfall approached!