Well, it threatened to rain all day, but only spritzed a little bit here and there for a couple of minutes. So, my work crew (see photo 1) and I got lots accomplished on the new chicken coop/shed.
We managed to get the end rafters up and we hung the ridge pole. We had to make a quick stop back to the lumber yard in the midst of the work day as we realized our math was a little fuzzy. But, one new 2 x 8 x 12 later and we were back in business! I've been reading a little about building and learned that I need to hang a little of the ridge pole over (I did 8") in order to have a nice overhang that will also serve as a sort of a drip edge. I'll hang (ladder-style) some more rafters off the front and back to make that overhang. Stay tuned as we finish up the roof! If all goes well, I'll be enrolling in Door-Making 101 sometime next week. (I already have the windows--nice recycled/reclaimed 6 pane wooden sashes.)
Those weather folks keep telling us rain, rain, rain, but today ended up a great almost-summer day. Not too hot, not too humid, and not much rain!