Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in our part of Kentucky, we were already almost 8" below our average rainfall for the year a week ago. I haven't checked since the rains have arrived, but we have been getting quite a bit of rain lately and it is doing wonders for the garden. It has also settled most of the air-bourne allergens that caused me so much distress recently.
I kind of fell short in keeping track of what all has been planted already. I had great intentions of keeping fabulous records this year for future reference, but that has already fallen by the wayside. I have a small notebook with my running to-do list that I carry with me. At some point later this spring, maybe I can go back and transfer the information from my to-do list to a proper record keeping journal.
In previous posts, I have relayed updates of how things are progressing in preparation for the upcoming CSA season. In my mind, it still seems to me like everything isn't going as quickly or as smoothly as I'd like. But as I work in the garden, I see the progress in every little step. It's a lesson in patience. It was a huge project getting the initial dirt work done, but that was only a small part of the work needed to get to a point where we can actually plant in the garden. Turning the soil twice and incorporating the established grass, etc has turned the almost rock hard clay base into a beautiful soil that is easily workable. We prepare a couple of rows at a time, pulling soil from what will be the walkways up onto the wide rows and smoothing it out a bit. A few days later, we go back and pull any weeds or grasses that have survived, and then plant whatever goes in that particular row. As Al mows and bags grass clippings from the yard, I go back and add a thin layer of the organic mulch to help retain some moisture in the rows, plus help keep the weeds from getting away from me. It is a slow process for sure, but one that is working well for us. The secret to keeping weed growth down is to not let them get a good foothold. By keeping their roots exposed to air, the weeds will eventually die out. As rows are planted, they are then added to the maintenance rotation, hopefully keeping us on top of any weed invasions. In a perfect world, anyway.
I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the new garden, because it kept getting bigger as we decided to add more vegetables and varieties. I'm guessing it's roughly 250' long by 40' wide. After the remaining tomatoes and peppers are planted sometime in the next day or two, we'll have roughly 2/3 of it planted. The rest of the garden will only take 2-3 days to finish planting, as it will be planted with closely spaced seeds and not transplants. The next step will then be to put up the supports for the tomatoes and beans.
The perennial garden is looking wonderful too. I spent a couple of hours pulling weeds yesterday and cleaning up the rows to plant the Herb transplants from the greenhouse. I still need to weed the Asparagus and Strawberry rows and mulch them, but then the perennial garden will be done.
As I take stock of what we have accomplished thus far, I am quite pleased. I am anxious to show off our gardens to our CSA members when we have our first member visits.
Posted by Robin @ 05:10 AM CDT [ Comments  ]