Well, last Friday we planted a few seedlings in the garden. Some of the heritage zucchini, squahes and melons were getting a bit crowded on the kitchen window sill. We put down black fabric to cut down on weeding and put the plants in. A gentle rain fell all night and the temperature stayed in the mid 60's. Sounds like a great start...until the wind started on Saturday. The black cloth ended up wrapped around the moveable rabbit pen at the edge of the garden. I'm not sure how or if we'll get it back where it should be. Plus last night was the 3rd night in a row we had to cover everything with floating row cover because of frost. Happily, more than half of the seedlings appear to have survived their traumatic transplanting!! My flower bed and herbs seem to have weathered through well. Some of the potatoes got nipped a bit by the frost, but they'll be ok, and the rhubarb seems to be indestructible at this point. It's beautiful but I just don't have enough time right now to be making anything with it.
Alicia, our only ewe born last year, had a little ram lamb on Monday. She's a dedicated mother and he seems to be doing just fine. She was born last year the day after Mother's Day, and had her own baby the day after Mother's Day this year! It's been cold the past few nights, so I put a little fleece blanket on him. I think it makes me feel better than the baby, but it surely isn't causing any harm. I started making the "lammy jammies" this February when most of the lambs were born out of scraps of fleece material I found on discount at Wal-Mart along with a few clearance-priced buttons. It sure beat the prices in the livestock supply catalogs, and they were custom fit.
We'll be weaning the piglets this weekend. The sows are going a bit stir-crazy in thier pens. They both escaped out into the boar's run this weekend. I would have loved to have seen the 450-lb sow climb over the 3 1/2 foot stall divider. Twice. Luckily, no pigs were hurt during this stunt. The babies are also getting very good at pushing the hog house door open and escaping into the main barnyard and pasture if the door isn't shut VERY tightly. A cinder block propped up on the outside works too.
Dan is done with the plowing for the year. There is still much fieldwork to be done before all the field corn is in, but everything is moving right along. Tom, my father-in-law, is coming to help us out again this weekend so I'm hoping for clear skies! I am also hoping to work my horse a bit behind the harrow this weekend. Dan has worked her a bit, but she's acting a bit barn sour and I think he's a little too easy on her when she starts to throw a fit. But I am excited to get her used to her new harness. We were at an auction and found a gorgeous show pony harness with both a collar and the ability to hook up to shafts for a buggy or sleigh for a price we could afford. When it was brought out, I was in love with it and was sure it would go too high, but it must have been meant to be! It is beautiful and covered in metal dots which will be shiny once I find time to clean and oil it. When we tried it on Sara in the barn, it fit like it was custom made. I only had to adjust one buckle on the whole thing! The leather is in fantastic shape, it's just got a good layer of dust accumulated on it. It even came with an ornate piece of leather that fits over the hames and collar just for decoration. I told her she'll look fancier than a Budwieser Clydesdale! The only thing I was nervous about is that the bridle has blinders on it, which Sara has never worn. However, Dan used the new bridle with the old harness last week and said she acted like she'd worn them all her life. Now if I can just get her used to the straps around her hind end without a royal kicking fit...