2 small eggplants (about 1/4 pound each)
2 C buttermilk
1 1/2 C flour
1 t salt
dash of cracked peppercorns
1 C sunflower oil or peanut oil for deep-frying
1/4 C raw apple blossom honey or raw orange blossom honey
- Peel and slice eggplants into quarter inch slices.
- Place slices into a shallow baking dish and add milk enough to completely cover and aloe to soak for about an hour.
- On a separate plate add flour salt and pepper mix well.
- After eggplant has been soaked in the buttermilk lightly dust the slices in flour mixture. Make sure there is a thin but even coating.
- In a cast iron skillet add oil and heat to about 350 degrees. To test oil place a small piece of egg plant in the oil, if it sizzles immediately it is ready if not give it a few more minutes.
- Once ready add dredged eggplant slices to the oil flip once browned on one side.
- Remove to a wire rack with paper towels to dry.
- When ready to serve heat the honey until liquid and drizzle a small amount over the fried patties.
Posted by Betty @ 11:00 AM EST