3 C flour
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t ground allspice
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 C raw orange blossom honey
1/3 C demerara sugar
2 T orange juice
2 t grated orange rind
16 oz. bag sliced almonds
1/2 C confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In heavy bottomed saucepan, bring honey and sugar to a boil. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool completely.
- In a separate mixing bowl sift together first six ingredients set aside.
- In the large bowl add egg, orange juice and rind into cooled honey mixture.
- Gradually add flour mixture until stirring until well blended.
- Divide dough into quarters. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for about an hour.
- On a well floured surface roll each quarter of dough to 1/4" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters of your choosing, arrange a few sliced almonds on the unbaked dough.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet for about 6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from cookie sheet immediately to prevent overcooking; place on a wire rack.
- In a small mixing bowl; combine confectioners' sugar and water. Brush glaze on cookies while still warm.
Posted by Betty @ 11:00 PM EST