14 large egg whites
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raw orange blossom honey
2/3 cups Demerara sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until peaks form. Add salt. With the mixer on low speed, drizzle the honey into the egg whites. Gradually pour demerara sugar into the egg whites while mixer is on.
- Sift about 1/3 of the flour mixture onto egg whites. Sprinkle the zest onto the flour. Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg whites.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into an ungreased tube pan. (A greased pan will cause the cake to collapse.)
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.
- Immediately flip the pan, cool. Serve with Browned Honey Butter Cream.