1 Tablespoon dried currants
3 Tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus additional for dusting
6 Tablespoons honey, divided
2 large baking apples
2 prepared pie dough for single-crust
- In a bowl, combine currants, walnuts and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in 3 Tablespoons honey.
- Peel apples cut each in half. With a melon baller, make a wide enough hole for filling. Divide honey mixture evenly between apple centers.
- Divide pie dough into 4 balls.
- Roll each ball into a 6-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick. Lay 1 piece of dough over each apple half with filling-side up. Tuck and wrap dough around each apple half. Trim dough to fit. Pinch the edges of dough underneath apples to seal entirely.
- Combine 1 Tablespoon honey with 1 teaspoon boiling hot water. Stir until honey dissolves.
- Brush mixture over tops of turnovers; dust with additional cinnamon.
- Transfer turnovers to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for about 35 minutes, until turnovers are golden. Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining 2 Tablespoons honey. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings