1-1/2 cups butter
1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar or Demerara sugar
1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
3/4 cup raw honey
7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix dry ingredients together; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and zest. Steadily add honey in a stream and mix until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time; mix well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients, a little at a time; mix well.
- Divide dough in two, into disk shapes, and wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters into desired shapes. Bake in a oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Makes 4 dozen 4-inch cookies.