A great bean soup for a very cold day!
3/4 cup dry beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup diced onions
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
4 cups vegetable stock/broth
- Rinse beans, cover with water in a pot, bring to a boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover and set aside for 1 hr
- In a larger pot, cook onions in a little oil till translucent (about 3 -5 min)
- Add 4 cups broth
- Drain beans, rinse, add to onions and broth, bring to boil, then simmer covered on low about 2 hrs till beans are tender
- Add can of tomatoes (including the liquid) and 1/2 cup rice to mixture, cover and simmer another 30 min.
- Now add chopped veggies and cook covered an additional 30-45 min or until veggies are tender
- Season to taste with a little oregano, basil, parsley, and salt and pepper
Serve with warm crusty bread.