Not logged in, login or create an account

There is 1 reply To this message.

Author Topic: Turkey breeds
Click to reply to this message
  turkeyboy
  grovertown
Turkey breeds    (Posted Wed, Aug 22 '12 at 01:09 UTC)

Around the first of july I went over in fort wayne area and bought what i was told to be blue slate turkeys. When I picked them up he had a breeding set of royal palms and blue slates. The baby where about a week old. Well now they are turning in a very dark black in color and feet are turning dark also. They are about 15-16inches tall and you can tell what are toms and what are going to be hen. What do you think are they probably not slate or are they just a dark coloring of a slate. Thanks.

Cirrus Hill
 Meaford, Ontario
Re: Turkey breeds    (Posted Mon, Dec 10 '12 at 10:20 UTC)

>Around the first of july I went over in fort
>wayne area and bought what i was told to be blue
>slate turkeys. When I picked them up he had a
>breeding set of royal palms and blue slates. The
>baby where about a week old. Well now they are
>turning in a very dark black in color and feet
>are turning dark also. They are about 15-16inches
>tall and you can tell what are toms and what are
>going to be hen. What do you think are they
>probably not slate or are they just a dark
>coloring of a slate. Thanks.

Royal Palms will not breed true colours if crossed to other breeds, they will come out 1/2 greys and 1/4 ea black and whites if bred to a white, or some in betweens if bred to a slate, as the royal palm colouration requires double recessive. I believe the slate is also a genetically diverse phenotype, producing the slate colouration in some but not all of the individuals of the next generation, the rest becoming black. You may have either, the slates will grow larger than crossed royal palms perhaps.

Rare Breeds - Eat Them to Save Them!