Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 9 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Chicken Feed
Click to reply to this message
  Khalil
  Criglersville
Chicken Feed    (Posted Sat, Jan 5 '13 at 09:26 UTC)

Can/will chickens eat whole wheat berries?

Learn to Listen Listen to Learn
 dunlooken
 Glencoe
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Mon, Jan 14 '13 at 08:44 UTC)Positive Rank

>Can/will chickens eat whole wheat berries?

Sure. I've added it from time to time but it's hard for me to get. Our hens are fed milk from our goats, alfalfa hay, oats, and household scraps during the winter.

Bev
 Khalil
 Criglersville
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Tue, Jan 15 '13 at 12:39 UTC)

Thanks Bev

Cross Creek
 Atwood
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Tue, Jan 22 '13 at 12:35 UTC)Positive Rank

I use both wheat berries and oats to grow 'fodder' for my hens during the winter. Using a 22" X 11" nursery flat, I put a couple of inches of soil or vermicompost in the bottom, place a thick layer of seeds on top and mix it up a bit, water till damp but not soggy and let it grow into a lawn like mat.
I have shelves set up under 4' 4tube fluorescent lights that I turn on for about 8 hours. Be sure to keep your flats watered, but not too wet. It takes about 7-10 days for it to be ready, so I start one tray a day to have one ready every evening. The hens eat roots and all and they come running when I take it to them. Sure helps get them to come into their 'safe' house at night and their yolks stay bright orange from the greens. When I clean their pen the soil goes back into the compost bin along with their bedding and then into the vermicompost bin for further decomposition. We raise organic hard red winter wheat and I use the cleanings from the bottoms of our grain bins for the hens' winter feed. You can go to a grain elevator or feed store to see if they have 'cleanings' at a low cost for chicken feed. They also eat whole wheat berries if I have enough to spare.

AH
 Khalil
 Criglersville
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Tue, Jan 22 '13 at 04:41 UTC)

Thank you for the info,

homefireburning
 Hubbard Lake
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Sat, Jan 26 '13 at 09:47 UTC)Positive Rank

We sprout our organic wheat berries in 5-gallon buckets (not full, just enough for each day). Using pliers, get a large nail hot, and melt holes in the bottom and sides of the bucket. Keep another 5-gallon bucket solid. Pour your berries into the perforated bucket, set inside the solid bucket, then fill with warm water. Let soak for 12 hours at room temp. Then lift the perforated bucket out of the solid bucket (I do this in the bathtub, but can also be done outdoors if warm) and let set. Run water over the perforated bucket once a day, and in 3 or 4 days you'll have beautiful wheat sprouts! The sprouting breaks down the phytic acid in the wheat and makes the nutrients easier for the chickens/turkeys/ducks/geese to absorb, just as as it does for humans. It sounds much more complicated than it is!

Edie Abbott
 Khalil
 Criglersville
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Sun, Jan 27 '13 at 02:03 UTC)

Great idea, going to try this for making wheatgrass.

Bobbya
 Columbia
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Mon, Jul 15 '13 at 12:33 UTC)

I saw Quartz Ridge Ranch, out west, was using barley fodder. Is barley fodder the same as wheat berry? Where do you get the wheat berry from?

jchoby farm
 Sedalia
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Sat, Dec 21 '13 at 10:39 UTC)

We have been playing around with "fodder" (the sprouting of grains for feed) for our rabbits, pigs, and chickens. The process is simple and can be found on youtube by the hundreds. All seem to love it, chicks and rabbits more then the pigs. First quick test resulted in turning 50# of wheat feed into 220#'s of feed.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Chicken Feed    (Posted Sun, Dec 22 '13 at 09:56 UTC)

Another thing you can do is grow the barley, rye, wheat, oats, spelt, etc. and then let the chickens harvest it. Chicken tractors or movable fencing is the way to do this.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.