Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 3 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Garlic for planting
Click to reply to this message
  SanYsidroFarms
  Fredericksburg
Garlic for planting    (Posted Wed, Feb 2 '11 at 01:20 UTC)

Hey,

I'm looking for any extra garlic cloves/bulbs for planting. I would like to try a spring crop against most opinions as I have seen it done before but am having trouble finding it at this time of the year. Willing to pay for shipping and a fair price per pound on any garlic available. Thanks

Just call or email please.

540-903-7168 - Michael Green

King and Queen County Virginia Based CSA serving the local area, Ashland Fredericksburg and Richmond with fresh produce, quality meats and more grown in the organic fashion.
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Garlic for planting    (Posted Wed, Feb 2 '11 at 10:23 UTC)

I could sell you a pound or two, but I suggest you get some garlic cloves from a local farmer in your area (I am way up in the Pacific Northwest). You should be able to contact someone from a farmers market or just start calling around to local farmers.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 flaja
Re: Garlic for planting    (Posted Fri, Feb 4 '11 at 06:21 UTC)

I always just plant what I buy at the grocery store. Where I live the quality of produce is always so bad a head of garlic will go bad before I can use all of it, so if the season is right, I just plant what I don't use for cooking. If you want organic garlic, just buy cooking garlic from an organic grocery.

SanYsidroFarms
 Fredericksburg
Re: Garlic for planting    (Posted Fri, Feb 4 '11 at 08:30 UTC)

Thanks for both of your tips. Ultimately I will order some decent garlic from a good source.such as a seed saving group to try to keep a rare variety in use from the Va/ Carolina/Maryland area.
Until I find the right few crops to keep in perpetuity I'll take anything! So I would appreciate being able to purchase some of your garlic from the north west. I'll message you to discuss a price and shipping.
Grocery store...sure enough there will be garlic in there but I am hoping to grow two 100 foot raised bed rows with either three or four rows of garlic within each one.
Nevertheless I could grab a few choice ones should I find them on sale at our local grocer. I will go ahead and get organic ones though as I feel they will respond better to our organic fertilizing methods since they at least have not been raised on synthetics already.

King and Queen County Virginia Based CSA serving the local area, Ashland Fredericksburg and Richmond with fresh produce, quality meats and more grown in the organic fashion.