Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 3 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Seeking advice on energy crop
Click to reply to this message
  dacroz
  Willow, AK
Seeking advice on energy crop    (Posted Mon, Aug 22 '11 at 10:41 UTC)

I'm looking for help with selecting an energy crop (or crops...) for a sustainable community in Costa Rica. Crops considered so far include castor bean and jatropha curcas (for biodiesel), and jerusalem artichoke, sweet sorghum and giant cassava (for biogas).

Any pointers to information on optimum temperature, water and nutrient requirements, and yield would be greatly appreciated. (What led me here was seeing that LocalHarvest sells sorghum seeds.)

Climate data, average annual temperature and precip for the location are available at
http://worldweather.wmo.int/171/c01130f.htm#climate

We did not inherit the Earth from our parents. We are borrowing it from our children. -- Chief Seattle
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: Seeking advice on energy crop    (Posted Sun, Jul 15 '12 at 01:08 UTC)

I had e-mail contact with a guy that was raising Malcanthus (Elephant grass) in Guyana. They were harvesting it with draft animals and making pellets and shipping them to the Netherlands for electricial production. He had plans to later start producing ethanol. But I do have a question: if it is a bad thing to replace the rain forest with grass to feed cattle, what makes this a good idea? I have read that Cassava has a great potential, but what do I know? I raise Barley.

dacroz
 Willow, AK
Re: Seeking advice on energy crop    (Posted Sun, Jul 15 '12 at 01:53 UTC)

"if it is a bad thing to replace the rain forest with grass to feed cattle, what makes this a good idea?"

I would say that replacing rain forest for this purpose is *not* a good idea.

We did not inherit the Earth from our parents. We are borrowing it from our children. -- Chief Seattle
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: Seeking advice on energy crop    (Posted Thu, May 2 '13 at 10:40 UTC)

Was revisiting this, I guess I don't now that he was replacing the rainforest with grass, it may have already been there. But isn't that what you are doing to? I mean jerusalem artichokes in the rainforest?