Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 5 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Organic crops
Click to reply to this message
  Carol's Chickens
  Deer Park
Organic crops    (Posted Wed, Sep 7 '11 at 10:26 UTC)

I'm a new chicken farmer and while I'm not certified, I do feed certified organic feed. I'm looking for an organic crop farmer willing to sell in bulk to me. Anyone out there in the NW Wisconsin area?

Carol Johnson
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: Organic crops    (Posted Sat, Jul 7 '12 at 12:36 UTC)

Did you find anyone? I do raise organic grain, but I am quite a ways north of you and I do not grind at this time.

Carol's Chickens
 Deer Park
Re: Organic crops    (Posted Sat, Jul 7 '12 at 12:38 UTC)

I found a farmers co-op in Wadena, MN. About 3.5 - 4 hour drive. It's called the Buckwheat Growers Association. I still want to find something closer and am hoping to spur some interest in getting an organic feed mill operating in this part of WI. An established feed mill in Menomonie has expressed interested. If you are looking to sell organic grain to a mill perhaps you should contact them. Email me at and I will forward his information to you. Assuming you just sell the bulk grain, what do you charge and what types of grains are you growing?

Carol Johnson
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: Organic crops    (Posted Sun, Jul 15 '12 at 01:21 UTC)

I raise mostly Barley and Oats for an organic dairy farmer, but I did add a few acres of spring wheat and am going to try and get some buckwheat in if I get done haying. Planted some field peas late, have my fingers crossed. Also plan on adding rye this fall. Got $6.50 for the barley and $4.50 a bushel for the oats last year. Probably going to be a little higher this year. He says he wants all of it, but I am wanting to spread out a little. The advantage this way is that I sell it out of the field and do not have to store it, so I own no bins or augers. Makes for a cheaper start up. Down size is I don't have much room to dicker for a better price.
We need a mill farther north, looked a buying a small one myself, but I have enough on my plate. I will look into that mill in Menoninee (sp?). This is one area I think the local food folks are missing. It ain't local meat if the grain is coming in by semi from 300 miles away. Also I have found a lot of interest in certified straw. Not so much for hay, but I think that is somewhat a local thing.

Carol's Chickens
 Deer Park
Re: Organic crops    (Posted Sun, Jul 15 '12 at 12:18 UTC)

Well it's nice to have someone guaranteeing the sale of your crops but I agree, you may not be getting the best price. I have tried to find people interested in getting an organic mill in our area. It's not something most people or organizations have been wanting to work on. Maybe over the winter months is a better time. I know how busy the spring/summer/falls are for me and I'm really a very small operator. Being as you are already growing organic crops your area would be an ideal place to get one going. Are there other farmers like you growing or wanting to grow organic? You might consider a co-op like the one in Wadena I buy from. They don't have much of a web site but you can get a little information about them. They are called Buckwheat Growers Association in Wadena, MN. www.buckwheatgrowers.com Maybe you can get some ideas there. I'll keep working on any opportunities that come my way and keep you in the loop. If you want to communicate by email directly my email address is

Carol Johnson
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: Organic crops    (Posted Mon, Jul 16 '12 at 02:34 UTC)

People don't find a feed mill as sexy as a slaughtering plant, but I don't see them happening either. Interest in buying is pretty high, interest in raising certified grain not so, but there is a couple who had made some talk. While contact you.