Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 4 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Is it worth it?
Click to reply to this message
  Caleco
  MEDARYVILLE
Is it worth it?    (Posted Wed, Dec 21 '11 at 07:49 UTC)

I am wondering is if anyone could comment or offer advice.
We are semi-retired and have about 3/4 of an acre garden plus
a small orchard. For the 3/4 acre, would it be worth the time and labor to try to grow food for local markets, restaurants or whatever.

Chris

Angela
 Conway
Re: Is it worth it?    (Posted Wed, Dec 21 '11 at 09:28 UTC)

Yes!
Have you seen the price of fresh produce? Besides the monetary gain, you get to meet such wonderful people. I've made so many friends over the years, and I really enjoy just getting out there at the market.
Yes, it's hard work...but I've found it to be very rewarding on many levels.

Good luck, and have fun!

Angela G Stanley Rockgate Farm
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Is it worth it?    (Posted Wed, Dec 21 '11 at 11:14 UTC)

Yes.

Consider the formation of capital. We get new capital - new wealth - from the natural environment. There are 4 main sources: fossil fuel, timber, ore and farming. The first 3 are extractive and unsustainable. The fourth - farming - is now extractive and unsustainable for the most part because of poor farming practices. However, it doesn't have to be that way.

If you grow food, you have capital you can use to your advantage. You can sell it, you can sell it to some and not to others, you can give it away, you can give it away to people who are doing the same thing you are, and you can use it as a teaching tool. As a producer of food, you automatically have a higher profile for whatever politics in which you engage.

Since we are in the early stages of not only US collapse, not only European and not only Asian collapse, but very likely collapse of a civilization built on cheap energy; it is to your advantage to get involved in the food production process and try to do something useful. None of us can prevent collapse, but we can mitigate the consequences. It will be easier for the people around you if you have a lot of food to share.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 Quarryfields
 Cecilia, KY
Re: Is it worth it?    (Posted Tue, Jan 17 '12 at 10:38 UTC)

You can always feel out your local markets. Producing the vegetables is only half the work, the other half is actually being able to sell what you grow. if you can get a couple local places interested, that would give you a good basis to start from.

Around here, I can sell about everything I raise, and I know others who are turning people away from their CSAs because they can't produce enough to meet demand. All depends on your market...

Caleco
 MEDARYVILLE
Re: Is it worth it?    (Posted Tue, Jan 17 '12 at 07:20 UTC)

Thanks, years ago there were several markets in our area. In the past 15 yrs. they have all disappeared I would imagine because of things like Walmart. I think we will start next year checking into a working into a market on our property as we are right on a major highway close to an intersection of another.