Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 2 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Wet land - what grasses to plant?
Click to reply to this message
  BlueSpoonFarm
  Groton
Wet land - what grasses to plant?    (Posted Wed, Jan 11 '12 at 02:55 UTC)

I have very wet land. about 13 of the 16 acres are in grasses for pasture and hay. I need to reseed this sping/later winter as there are lots of empty grass free spaces. The fields are mostly Timothy. What kind of seed will do well in middle NY state (cold) in wet soil? I have about one foot of topsoil over blue clay. It's at the top of the hill, not the bottom.

Ideas please.

520 West Groton Rd. Groton NY (607)898-9050
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: Wet land - what grasses to plant?    (Posted Tue, Apr 30 '13 at 11:26 UTC)

Birdsfoot Trefoil, Alsike clover, Orchard Grass.The trefoil is the most resistant to flooding,but a little slow to establish. Will frost seed though. If real wet Reed's Canary grass, but it can get invasive. keep it away from streams orat least be sure tocut before going to seed. It ishell of wild rice beds. Soaks up the water though. If using for hay, get a low Alkaloid (sp) type.

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Wet land - what grasses to plant?    (Posted Wed, May 1 '13 at 01:17 UTC)

I second the birdsfoot trefoil + reed canary grass combination. Works well on our farm, the trefoil does need inoculated and will take a while to establish. the reed canary grass will also require a soil test to every so often... it tends to need a bit of phosphorus from time to time to continue to thrive.