Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 3 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Front yard organic garden
Click to reply to this message
  norrisfamily4
  roswell
Front yard organic garden    (Posted Thu, Apr 28 '11 at 01:21 UTC)

Hi!
this is my first post here. I need some help here. We just boought our first home last year, and it was our dream to have a big vegetable garden all organic and to be more self sustainable. we bought in an area where we would have enough yard to do it. it was the first thing we did when we moved in. anyway, long story short, today we got a notice from the city of roswell that we have to move it to our back or side yard. trouble is that both of those spots do not provide enough light each day to grow anything. there is no hoa or anything. also, the ordinance is ok with a flower bed done in the same way. its just because its vegetables! the ordinance they are useing to get rid of it is for yard structures too. we dont have any structures besides tomato cages. anyway, if anyone else has had to fight such ordinances, can you suggest the best way for us to handle this?

flaja
Re: Front yard organic garden    (Posted Thu, Apr 28 '11 at 05:52 UTC)

I'd contact your local TV stations and get some bad PR for the city. Also find out if any other resident in your city has had the same problem.

norrisfamily4
 roswell
Re: Front yard organic garden    (Posted Thu, Apr 28 '11 at 11:50 UTC)

we did call one tv news station, and are going to contact the local newspaper. what else could we do? is there any other people we should contact?

kodiakgirl
 kodiak
Re: Front yard organic garden    (Posted Fri, Apr 29 '11 at 12:03 UTC)

can you go to a city council meeting and request a variance. Maybe have your neighbors sign a paper that they aren't offended by your garden. Appeal to the fact that you should have the basic human right to grow some of your own food, or say that your design is to grow decorative varieties to enhance your design. Get rid of the tomato cages and let your tomatoes sprawl, or grow them on decorative trellises on your house. Homeowners associations are the culprit I think. Terrible things. People can be very, very dumb sometimes. You can move up here to Alaska and do whatever you wish.

heather