Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 10 replies To this message.

Author Topic: How to promote food swapping among organic farms
Click to reply to this message
  bostonfoodswap
  Cambridge
How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Fri, Jul 22 '11 at 05:13 UTC)

I represent the new national food movement of food swapping. We create a marketplace for home cooked food and drinks.

I feel like the farming community is a very fitting partner for food swaps because we create demand and community around freshly farmed food. I've asked my CSA to broadcast the details of the swap to my fellow members but they don't seem very eager to oblige.
Am I crazy to think that this is symbiotic relationship? What would you, as farmers, need to want to promote your local food swap?

My swap can be found at http://www.bostonfoodswap.com
National food swap listings are available at http://hipgirlshome.com/foodswaps/

Building community through creative edibles!
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Fri, Jul 22 '11 at 10:36 UTC)Neutral Rank

Perhaps you are not getting attention from farmers because they don't need a swap - they need more money for their food they produce for you. Remember, farmers get billed in dollars and paid in pennies.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 bostonfoodswap
 Cambridge
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Sat, Jul 30 '11 at 12:38 UTC)

Maybe you don't understand the concept of food swaps. It is a way for consumers of home made food to use fresh farmed goods in a practical way.
In other words, it's a way to create DEMAND for farmer who get paid in pennies.

I would think that farmers could always use more pennies. I just bought an additional bulk order from my farm this week so I could swap in the near future.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Sun, Jul 31 '11 at 04:39 UTC)Negative Rank

Bostonfoodswap - You are a consumer so you have a different perspective. If the original poster wasn't getting an indifferent reaction from farmers, she wouldn't have posted. It is easy to be condescending and say I don't understand. Let me ask you this, "How many thousands of dollars of food have you produced and given away over the last 3 years?" I have given away over $8,000 and I still don't earn a living from farming.

I suggest you check your ego at the door before you sit down to write a condescending post. You the consumer are getting very cheap food and a food swap based on maximizing your opportunities at the expense of the farmer is not righteous.

bostonfoodswap
 Cambridge
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Sun, Jul 31 '11 at 11:06 UTC)

How is anything that encourages people to buy more produce something at the expense of farmers?

Your original response was condescending and my reply matched the tone. Maybe if you checked the chip on your shoulder at the door and didn't rudely reject inquiries about building demand for your business you wouldn't have so much difficulty making money.

I have spent my entire career in sales and if someone approached me with an idea that I could promote to encourage people to buy more of what I was selling, I certainly wouldn't categorically dismiss them. In fact, if you're having so much trouble selling, I would be happy to offer you some tips about how to bring buyers to you. I'm pretty sure that my methods would be more fruitful than telling customers that you don't need them and that they shouldn't find creative ways to use your products.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Tue, Aug 2 '11 at 09:41 UTC)Negative Rank

As I said, you should not post a condescending reply. Your latest reply is more of the same. If you have "spent your entire career in sales," you obviously have a consumer-driven attitude. This is quite different from a producer-driven attitude. It is obvious you don't get it and just attack by reflex rather than try to understand what your own problem is. Remember, YOU were the one who asked for a farmer's perspective because you were having a difficult time getting farmers to go along with your food swap idea.

Instead of looking down from your elevated perch, why don't you go out to a farm (for instance the CSA you say you belong to) and do a little real work with the farmer and maybe you will get an appreciation of what is entailed in producing your daily food. I get awful tired of you silly city people who come up with whiz-bang ideas that don't have any care for the actual producers. Remember, you are not producing anything - you are just selling something that someone else produced.

I looked at your website, as well as the L.A. foodswap website. Your "big idea" is just a schmoozefest. After listening to your prattle for a couple of posts, I am not surprised you are having a hard time getting your "new" idea across. My suggestion is to just bag it and help create more markets for farmers. Notice I said "more markets for farmers" and not "more markets for consumers."

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Tue, Aug 2 '11 at 07:35 UTC)Negative Rank

By the way, Bostonfoodswap, you are specifically prohibited from using this discussion forum to promote your business. Judging by your antagonism, asking for input from farmers about the idea was just a ruse to promote yourself. This is stinky cheese.

bostonfoodswap
 Cambridge
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Tue, Aug 2 '11 at 07:43 UTC)

Again, condescending response gets matched with a condescending tone.

Markets for consumers to use farmer's products are good for farmers. In fact, most farmers that I have spoken to have been really interested in the concept but, as they are very busy at this time of year, most have trouble promoting demand. My question was an inquiry about what I could do to help them generate this opportunity.

To repeat myself yet again, it has become painfully clear why you have such difficulty selling your wares. If you need help not only avoiding alienating customers, but to actually attract them, my offer still stands.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Wed, Aug 3 '11 at 03:06 UTC)

What ever made you think I need YOUR help? I am not the one trying to flog a new marketing concept. I am not the one worried about sales. I am not the one with the condescending attitude. I am sure your colleagues on the bostonfoodswap site are embarrassed for you.

As you said in your first post, you were having a problem getting farmers behind your marketing idea and asked for input. I gave you input and instead of thanking me and thinking about it, you started slamming me. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Plumbw
 new york
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Fri, Feb 24 '12 at 04:05 UTC)

The Nation magazine first reported Tuesday on the affidavits, which are part of a civil lawsuit filed on behalf of several Iraqis against the firm's founder, Erik Prince, and his employees for its alleged abuses in the country.
http://leanbodyx.net/nuance-dradon-coupons-nuance-coupon-codes-promo-code.html

Justine Plumbw
 Fabiq
 new york
Re: How to promote food swapping among organic farms    (Posted Fri, Apr 13 '12 at 09:55 UTC)

Then a "so called vet" came on and said that I was completely wrong and that vets recommend what they think is best.
http://deadseabeautykitreview.posterous.com/dead-sea-beauty-kit-review-plunge-into-the-se

Toni Fabiq