Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 10 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?
Click to reply to this message
  seektherapy

Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Mon, Nov 21 '11 at 07:56 UTC)

This may be a ridiculous question but I would love to know.. Is it possible for local farmer's to supply enough food for a franchised hamburger chain? After reading about CAFO?s and discovering how they ruin the environment, l started begging my friend to support the Local Farmers. He told me it?s not possible and it would be too expensive to buy locally. Can someone explain to me why this is impossible and what the cost and health differences would be by choosing to buy from real farmers instead of factory farming? Is the movie Food Inc. over exaggerated or is this really going on in most countries, especially America?

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Mon, Nov 21 '11 at 08:19 UTC)

No, it is not a ridiculous question and no, Food Inc. was not exaggerated. However, it would likely be impossible for local farmers to supply a restaurant chain because of their distribution chain. Chain restaurants and chain supermarkets use centralized distribution which pumps up the scale and makes small purchases logistically impossible. This is not the fault of the individual restaurants because they don't get the franchise unless they do it through centralized distribution. The corporate rationale is that they must control quality. It's all BS of course.

An individual restaurant starts out with a decentralized supply chain and usually seeks to centralize in order to compete in a system set up for centralization. That's why they go with Sysco or Sodexo or Dick's Produce, etc. One phone call and palletized loads and 30 days to pay.

A couple of years ago, I went to a chef/farmer meeting and listened to one of the chef's complain about having to go to the Bellingham Farmers Market on Saturdays and do his shopping. Of course, that is what they do most places around the world - the US is the anomaly. BTW, this restaurant is out of business now due to poor management.

If you have a centralized corporate system set up, you cannot really expect local farmers to compete in a system set up against them. Buying from local producers is quite doable, but the restaurant has to make the effort. Right now the restaurant wants below wholesale price, farmer delivery at a time convenient for the restaurant, AND they want to pay the farmer whenever they get around to it. This is not a good relationship.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 seektherapy
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Mon, Nov 21 '11 at 08:49 UTC)

Well he is the one who is starting the chain. So i am not asking for a person who wants to buy a fanchise. I am asking for a owner of a franchise. I guess I need to look into distribution places. Sadly, the real farmers are not making enough noise to get the attention needed, because he never even knew about GMO's or CAFOS. I actually told him to try wholefoods approach. I also told him to take farming out of the huge corporations hands and give farming back to the real farmers. In return, the local farmers would support him.. The bottom line is, I am a consumer and after watching Food Inc I was so mad about how deceiving the food industry is. I think most people feel the same way i do. I would love to find factual studies comparing illnesses caused by eating meat from CAFO's compared to local real grass feed beef.
In the case of my friends franchise.. Why does all the food have to taste identical? why does the chain have to be perfect

seektherapy
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Mon, Nov 21 '11 at 09:55 UTC)

Sorry, I just get so angry and really wish i could do something about this. But like i said, I don't know where to begin. My friend would think i was crazy if i told him to open a distribution center, strictly for local farmers. I am sure this has been done before. I was hoping for some direction. If McDonald's created the problem.. Then why can't someone trying franchise just like McDonald's, but use "REAL FARMERS". I dont understand the industry at all

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Mon, Nov 21 '11 at 10:39 UTC)

Well, you could do the research, take action to set up distribution networks, and basically re-orient your whole life over a period of 45 years for positive alternatives to the mainstream death culture.

Or you could just stop eating at restaurant chains and fast food places.

Faggot13
 New York
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Wed, Nov 23 '11 at 11:15 UTC)

Hi there.
I have some issues with my horses and I was wondering if you might help me.
Something's vrong with their legs, but veterinar says they're fine.
Any ideas on the subject?

Try mp4 to mp3 converter. http://mp4tomp3converter.org/
 seektherapy
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Tue, Nov 29 '11 at 10:09 UTC)

wvhaugen
At least I am trying at something I know little about. I find it very hard to believe In-N-Out Burger's claims of freshness, but I guess they are trying. I have bugged my friend to death about opening distribution centers, like you suggested. I need to be guided in the direction with establishing distribution?s for the local cattleman to provide meat for ground meat to these places and if it?s realistic. Quality control becomes an issue and testing the meat. After reading some microbiology papers on the function of the cow?s rumen, I now know for a fact, cows that have to gorge on corn will develop the deadly strain of E.Coli 0157 H7 or other deadly bacteria?s in CAFO conditions. I would love to convince him of the benefits and the long term respect he will gain from the public and the farmers

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Tue, Nov 29 '11 at 10:05 UTC)

At least you are doing some research. As you get further and further along, you will likely have to look at the economics of CAFO's (confined animal feeding operations). CAFO's are a factory system - they are not farming. Making this paradigm shift is important.

seektherapy
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Thu, Dec 1 '11 at 02:56 UTC)

I am aware CAFO's are not farms or even operated by farmers. Its obvious the environmental protection agency watches them as close as they can. So, short term they are economical for the person buying meet. The long term effects are a diseaster. If the were not, I don't think ivy league colleges would even care to discuss them. Which by the way, Princeton university had McDonalds chief of social services at a seminar a few years ago. You might want to watch it on you tube. :)

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Thu, Dec 1 '11 at 10:41 UTC)

Good for you. You have done your research. Now, is it viable for your friend with the restaurant business to buy from local farmers? You have gained enough knowledge to answer your own original question. What do YOU think? I would be interested in a lengthy reply. I promise I will read it.

seektherapy
Re: Is this possible for the Local Farmers?    (Posted Mon, Dec 5 '11 at 10:53 UTC)

It?s very difficult trying to find the facts when looking things up online.. Which is why I think the industries cookie cutter approach is absurd. I do know, whenever CAFO's are involved it entails reading the microbiology of each organism to find out the danger. Thank god most microbiology information is pretty standard. I?ll have to get back to you after researching it more