Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 0 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Change the Federal Prisons Menu Seasonally for Cost & Environment Savings 
Click to reply to this message
  Clovis
  Clovis
Change the Federal Prisons Menu Seasonally for Cost & Environment Savings     (Posted Sat, Feb 11 '12 at 05:04 UTC)

Will you give me a few mins of your time ? Did u know? -I recently found out that the federal prisons are on a set federal meal schedule that rotates but does not allow for any variation except for health or religious necessity.  And they serve fresh fruits n vegs but they are limited to only 5 types of fruit and I don't know how many vegs. Most people wouldn't consider this a problem, who cares what prisoners are fed, until it is explained to them that one of those fruits is bananas, and here in the central valley of California we grow hundreds of commodities, so even if a local commodity is cheaper and equally nutritious, the new fed prison that opened in Mendota can't save tax payer dollars by substituting.  for example, cantaloupes 4 slices of which are about equal to one of those imported bananas in calories maybe a little less but packs a greater nutritional punch, higher protein, fiber, potassium (which people always associate w/ bananas- Chiquita did a good job on that add campaign), iron, etc.  and Mendota is known as the cantaloupe capital of the world, so they are right down the street, which could save fuel expense and air pollution to valley.  But they cant/wont cuz its "not on the fed national menu". So I wrote a petition to attempt to change my world and the US for the better and what should be a no brainer but apparently logic doesn't come to play in our fed government only stupid politics..... Please give me a min of ur time n read my petition, i need help.  u can find the link at my fb web page -Economic & environmental savings petition towards sustainability 

the petition reads:

Change the Federal Prisons Menu Seasonally for Cost & Environment Savings 

Currently federal prisons are on a set federal meal schedule that rotates but does not allow for any variation except for health or religious necessity. I propose that each Federal Prison allows vendors to offer local commodities seasonally when the price is less than the set schedule fresh commodities on the National Menu and the same nutritional value can be provided by the substitution. 

Besides the cost advantage of saving the Federal Government money, it could potentially help financially support the local communities in which the prisons are situated. It would also promote good will within those communities and sustainability of our food system. By sticking to our current system, we as a nation, are paying to import food from out of state and out of country, the high fuel cost of getting it there, and contributing more to air pollution on the way. This is not logical, economical, or environmentally sound when many areas where the prisons are located have seasonal produce that could be provided for less of our tax payer dollars while still having nutritional equivalency to those currently on the menu. 

Stop demanding a one size feeds all approach and realize that there are saving to be found in sustainable kitchens!

We the undersigned are concerned citizens who urge our leaders to act now!