Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 4 replies To this message.

Author Topic: using csa farms to feed the needy
Click to reply to this message
  sunsetchef
  gulf shores/pensacola
using csa farms to feed the needy    (Posted Thu, Mar 1 '12 at 04:25 UTC)

are there prorams already in place on the gulf coast to feed hungry children by dontions used to support csa farmers to provide food to those in need? if not how do i go about starting one? i have a farmer and i have 35 families of 4. i want to raise the $ to pay the farmer to grow the food hes willing, need to know how to start a charity to make this happen thanks for your input in advance

exec chef at the sunset cork room
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: using csa farms to feed the needy    (Posted Thu, Mar 1 '12 at 06:47 UTC)

Good luck! I started a similar program this year, but I am growing the food and footing the bill myself. I have received plenty of interest from people who want to get the free food, or who know someone who is needy, but I have yet to get a single donation of even a dollar. The American economy will have to go further down the drain before people get a clue, I guess. I have put the word out on my social network, but there are precious few people willing to actually get off their duff and help out. Plenty of ideas, but no commitment for money or labor to help grow the food. As I say, good luck.

Here is a suggestion, however. Plant as much as you can (or get the farmers to plant as much as they can) and maybe you will get labor later on in the season. I have been doing this for years. Some years it works, some years it doesn't. The food that cannot be harvested just goes into the ground again to cycle the nutrients.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 sunsetchef
 gulf shores/pensacola
Re: using csa farms to feed the needy    (Posted Thu, Mar 1 '12 at 08:20 UTC)

thanks for the feed back! and good luck with you efforts!

Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: using csa farms to feed the needy    (Posted Thu, Mar 1 '12 at 04:27 UTC)

Think about adding in some education as to how to use whole fresh foods. Most poor people live in food deserts and do not have the skills (or equipment) to utilize this food. Nor are they all that familiar with many things you may grow.

I have found when i have tried to serve the poor that they simply don't want what's in a share unless it is corn, beans and tomatoes, everything else is unfamiliar and therefore not usable to them.

A food pantry I have given tons of food to over the past 4 years was rejecting all fresh food because the people using the pantry simply didn't want it. than they got a grant to hire an educator who taught people how to cook and after that happened the fresh food became very very popular.

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 sunsetchef
 gulf shores/pensacola
Re: using csa farms to feed the needy    (Posted Thu, Mar 1 '12 at 08:07 UTC)

thank you yes, i thought of that !. i have planned to put simple easy to follow recipes in with all deliveries. and offer assisstance/coaching to recipients in preparing the foods. but cooking classes for recipients is a great idea thank you!