Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 5 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Food that grows at dorms?
Click to reply to this message
  organic_27
  cedar falls
Food that grows at dorms?    (Posted Fri, Mar 28 '08 at 06:11 UTC)

Im going to get an appartment and I am interested in growing as much food as I can. I have a lot of sunlight in my room, but i would prefer plants that wont take up too much space. Does anyone have any suggestions?

biyu_wolf_77
 round
Re: Food that grows at dorms?    (Posted Sat, Mar 29 '08 at 04:09 UTC)

look at what you usially use that may help some or theres allways the aerogarden option i hear thats a hydroponics thing tho--youll have to dig an it wont be to easy if im right--

but im plannin on dooin 2 near identicle fresh herb gardens fer kitchen use 1 here 1 at my uncles house

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Food that grows at dorms?    (Posted Sat, Mar 29 '08 at 09:04 UTC)

Green peppers do well in pots, as does basil and Heartland tomatoes. You might also consider sprouts, such as alfalfa, radish, mung, lentil (my favorites). I do Alaska peas for pea sprouts sometimes, but my wife doesn't like them. I am amused by people who want to do a 100-mile diet, but forget all about growing sprouts, especially in times when you can't get lettuce. Arugula sprouts fast and can be cut many times - as can mustard mixes, tatsoi, etc. There are lots of things you can grow in a limited amount of space!

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 ourlongfamily
 Chester
Re: Food that grows at dorms?    (Posted Sun, Mar 30 '08 at 07:41 UTC)

I know that this is a really silly question, but where can I get seeds to do the sprouts? We have a wonderful kitchen with 5 huge windows and I have started working on the herbs, but the sprouts sound wonderful!

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Food that grows at dorms?    (Posted Sun, Mar 30 '08 at 11:37 UTC)

For sprouting seeds, go to the local co-op if you don't have a bulk food section in the nearest supermarket. Lentils are found in bags everywhere. I buy sprouting radish and pea seed from Osborne's in western Washington, www.osborneseed.com - cheaper than at the co-op. I don't do soybeans because of the trypsin enzyme inhibitor. Ten Talents is an old cookbook that has a good section on sprouting, vitamin values, etc. For a jar, just use a widemouth canning jar with a ring and lid. Replace the lid with a piece of nylon window screen cut to the same size with a scissors. Soak the seeds overnight or even a whole day, then pour off the water. Rinse with cold water at morning and night. Spin the jars a little to spread out the seeds on the inside of the jar. Lay the jars on their side on a towel (they drip) on top of the refrigerator and over the next few days watch Nature in action. I like alfalfa, clover and radish raw, but lentil, mung and other large seeds lightly steamed. When sauteeing tofu, vegetables, etc. I just wait until the dish is almost done, then add the sprouts, turn off the heat and cover the pan (cast-iron is especially good for this as it holds heat well). In a couple of minutes the sprouts are lightly steamed. This method is very forgiving, so don't worry - just do it. The same with the actual sprouting.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 OwensAcres
 Placerville
Re: Food that grows at dorms?    (Posted Thu, Jul 1 '10 at 02:02 UTC)

Sprouts are cheap and easy to grow. You can put nearly anything in a good size pot with decent dirt and it will grow all year round. Sun and water, that's all you need for most plants. Some of course require polinating, so if you have someplace to put them outside for a few hours of daylight, that works too!

Pure and Simple Products From Nature!