Not logged in, login or create an account

There is 1 reply To this message.

Author Topic: What are you harvesting?
Click to reply to this message
  WV Lavender Hill
  Crab Orchard
What are you harvesting?    (Posted Wed, Oct 4 '06 at 07:08 UTC)

It would be nice to hear what others are harvesting at this time... here is the run down at our place:

Well so far most everything is harvested, it's been a strange end to the summer, I have the lavender, sage, st johns wort pruned and looking happy, I've collected the seeds to the basils and primrose, harvested the roots to the valerian, burdock, echinacea, ashwagondha, teasle, and danelion. I'm still continuing to harvest the heal-all, medical artemisia annua (longer season than american non-medical artemisia annua and the spilanthe buttons and leaves, and rosehips until frost comes.
It will be a while before these will be in my store, for now I'm making tea bags that are used for malaria for the group I'm aquainted with in the Buduburam Refugee camp, Ghana Accra. (sometimes it's hard to make a profit giving so much away... Yet, it helps those in a bad situation) so bare with me until I will be able to fill our store with more product.

WV Lavender Hill Farm mixing love of nature, mountains and plants into the place I call home.
 WV Lavender Hill
 Crab Orchard
Re: What are you harvesting?--not enough!    (Posted Tue, Nov 7 '06 at 01:30 UTC)

Finally! I'm able to start working on products. The malaria tea has been a success and the schooling of the children at the refugee camp is growing, thanks to many wonderful people.

As bottling tinctures and infusions continues, I now wish I had harvested more roots, herbs and especially seeds, and of course canned more yummy veggies, I did take the time to cold store the unripe tomatos, so we are still eating tomatos as they ripen.

I'm starting a new list of the best herbs for us to start early, and which ones to just sow in the ground next spring.

I am happily surprised at how well the plants I brought in for the winter are doing, I don't always have such luck.. only 5 more months to go.

My favorite thing to do is to be outside in the middle of the herbs.. so I'm a bit lost right now when I look out at the frost on the ground.

I'm already iching for spring and it's not even thanksgiving yet ugh!!

WV Lavender Hill Farm mixing love of nature, mountains and plants into the place I call home.