Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 7 replies To this message.

Author Topic: What's the deal with cilantro?
Click to reply to this message
  erica1112
  Freehold
What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Thu, Jul 9 '09 at 11:50 UTC)

Ok - I'm no expert - but most of my herbs, flowers, veggies, even the mold in the fridge grows quite successfully.

Cilantro is another story. I have grown from seed and seedling and time after time I get a tall (like 4 feet), plant in a matter of weeks without those gorgeous flat leaves. It goes right to seed. What am I doing wrong? Typically - those little plastic spikes with directions from the nursery are missing!!! HELP!!

e
 Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Fri, Jul 10 '09 at 03:34 UTC)Positive Rank

Cilantro bolts quickly in hot weather. It does best in early spring/ mid fall and in much of the USA over winters very well. if you temps are over 85F it will bolt before it gets big.

one solution is to replant every 5 to 7 days. the plants will not be big but you will have cilantro.

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 thejakestershow
 Tucson
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Wed, Apr 7 '10 at 12:56 UTC)

i'm in tucson and i just keep planting and planting through the end of march and harvest when about 8 inches... and always keep in darkness until sprouted to 1/2 "

All the best, Jake Jacob http://localmarketingtucson.com
 farmgranny
 Yantis
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Fri, Aug 13 '10 at 07:11 UTC)

Cilantro will not tolerate hot Texas weather. If you plant it the last of August or the first of September it will do well. I planted mine in a large planter and had fresh cilantro all winter. The snow just tinged the leaves with red but didn't kill or effect the flavor. I was able to harvest until the last of May then the hot weather took it's toll. I'll be planting again soon.

Grannyc
 Garden Fusion
 East Marion
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Mon, Mar 28 '11 at 06:00 UTC)

You may want to try Vietnamese Coriander. It is a tender perennial that has the same flavor as Cilantro. But the plant looks nothing like it.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Mon, Mar 28 '11 at 09:51 UTC)

How come cilantro grows so well in Mexico? That's the first place I had it back in 1974.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 Nola
 Baltimore
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Tue, Mar 5 '13 at 06:04 UTC)

As has been said, cilantro tends to bolt in hot weather. One thing you can do to slow the process down, perhaps, is keep the top picked off so it will bush out more.

Nola N. Krosch
 ChagaChaser
 Litchfield
Re: What's the deal with cilantro?    (Posted Thu, May 30 '13 at 12:58 UTC)

Its the nature of the beast!! Cilantro is where Coriander comes from and coriander is great for lots of things!! Just let it self seed or collect and use the seed!!
Robin

Robin J Brann