Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 6 replies To this message.

Author Topic: herb business
Click to reply to this message
  Lisa
  Jackson
herb business    (Posted Thu, Nov 16 '06 at 05:58 UTC)

thinking of going into the herb business, or at least selling herbs at the market. Not sure what directions to go. What works best for you? Selling fresh cut herbs, dried, plants?

One plan has been to sell fresh cut herbs at the market and pass out recipes about how to use them.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks. Lisa

gardenchick
 WV Lavender Hill
 Crab Orchard
Re: herb business    (Posted Mon, Dec 4 '06 at 10:40 UTC)

Lisa, my suggestion would be to start with where your passion is, then listen to the customers and be ready to make adjustments.
So if your passions are with the fresh herbs and recipes than start there, I have seen many sell at markets using samples or the recipes, then selling a cook book and herbs at thier booth and/or give a free recipe card out here and there. (free food samples always brings a crowd).

WV Lavender Hill Farm mixing love of nature, mountains and plants into the place I call home.
 Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: herb business    (Posted Tue, Dec 5 '06 at 03:41 UTC)

I have done well with fresh basil-it's easy to grow and popular. Other herbs I grow are italian parsley, sage, oregano, tarragon, dill, thyme, chives and lovage.

All of these I sell fresh and most of them I also dry and sell that way too so I have things to sell in Winter/spring when there are no fresh herbs to be had. Oh, and I do dry catnip as well and next year will be getting into mints (planted several kinds this spring/summer). We used to grow mint for drying and making into mint tea (which is simply dried mint) at our old farm but something killed it off a few years ago so we have waited to get a new place to start mint again.

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 Nana's Place
 Kent
Re: herb business    (Posted Thu, May 10 '07 at 06:48 UTC)

Dear Chicky Mama,

I too am interested in growing a garden for a living. It's what I love to do. I'm pretty good at it. Inbred from my G-Gma, Nana. I'm in Kent, WA. West Coast of Washington State. Please share any feed back.

Thank you,

Nana's Plac3{:)

Happy Planter
 Lisa
 Jackson
Re: herb business    (Posted Mon, May 28 '07 at 04:50 UTC)

Well related to herbs not alot to share. We are doing a CSA for the first time this year as well as the farmers market. A friend who helps me is also interested in the herb end. The first few weeks we have scrambled to have enough for the shareholders. One thing we have done is give them a bundle of herbs every week. Which helps educate people in how to use them. Then eventually they will want to buy them in the future. We give out recipes with the share and at market to give them ideas. I believe it will be a gradual process of getting people more interested. We too are growing basils, dill, bronze fennel, sorrel, sage, chives, lovage, chamomile, thyme. I love the smell of most herbs just for the smell. I have to stop pinch the basil or I'll never have any! Just can't resist the smell. Good luck and just experiment, I think ohioorganic above probably has the most practical experience. Lisa

gardenchick
 MOOREHAVEN
 Adair
Re: herb business    (Posted Mon, May 28 '07 at 08:03 UTC)

I have a friend who markets culinary and medicinal herbs; it wasn't until he broadened his offerings to value-added - soaps and salves, vinagers and tictures, that he saw a substantial increase in sales. His offerings of live potted herbs have done him well also.

OwensAcres
 Placerville
Re: herb business    (Posted Thu, Jul 1 '10 at 02:30 UTC)

I have a small herb business (Owens Acres) and here's the scoop!

1. You can sell at Farmer's Market, however, if the market is a certified farmer's market, they don't like dried herbs! You'll have to argue your point as they feel like it's 'processed' if it's been dried. You can sell other products like cut flowers, and small potted herb plants, these are allowed, however, check with your County Ag department because some states required a nursery license to sell potted plants....I built a small tiered rack and cut 3" holes in it. Then went to WalMart and got 10 for $1 plastic cups. I cut the herbs the night before and stuck them in the cups with cool water and left on kitchen table so they wouldn't wilt. I sold them for $2 a bundle with no problem! Just wrapped them in a paper towel and tied with rubberband. I also sold cut flowers, small bundles sell very well for $2-4, people don't always want the king size boquet! Eventually i won my argument that dried herbs were farm products (thanks to an intervention by a County Ag official with the market manager, and I was allowed to sell dried herbs and herb & tea blends in bulk - not packaged. So I had big bowls of them and sold them by the scoop for $2.50 - $4 a scoop (about 1 oz.).

Hope the info helps. Check with your local farmers market and see what they will allow, then check with the County Ag department and see what they will approve. Start out right so there is no problems.

Pure and Simple Products From Nature!