Not logged in, login or create an account

There is 1 reply To this message.

Author Topic: Rock Dust
Click to reply to this message
  Asking
  East Windsor, NJ
Rock Dust    (Posted Tue, Mar 23 '10 at 04:40 UTC)

Is the use of rock dust (the by-product of cement processing) inherent in the term 'organic farming' ? I have been hearing about the benefits in cancer prevention of remineralizing soil using this and I now wonder if I can assume that 'organic' means this is used or not ? Anyone ?

(See this site link for more information. I just found it this morning and it has photos of carrots with and without using rock dust: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/727/ ).

Thank you.

Linda Dyer
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Rock Dust    (Posted Tue, Mar 23 '10 at 10:17 UTC)

The first thing is to get out of the "certified organic" mindset. Per Howard's and Rodale's work, as well as a lot of field researchers over the years, the use of rock dust is valuable for micronutrients and trace minerals and therefore part of organic methods. Whether it is "certified organic" is another story. Certification is all about marketing and co-optation of a valuable paradigm by government and its lackeys. I use 5# of glacial till dust in each 80# batch of fertilizer I make up. If you add granite dust, there is also a little bit of potassium in it, but it is slow-acting. However, slow-acting compounds are another consideration, as the weak acids in the soil will break them down over time, thus providing a reservoir of fertilization.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.