Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 8 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Best indoor herbs
Click to reply to this message
  Marty
  Chicago, IL/Collegeville, MN
Best indoor herbs    (Posted Wed, Jun 27 '07 at 03:22 UTC)

I go to school in Minnesota and plan to spend the whole year on a 100 mile diet. I'd like to grow herbs in my room and was wondering if anyone had ideas of what the best indoors might be and the best method for growing them.

I go to school in Collegeville, outside St. Cloud, MN but summer at my home on the south side of Chicago
 redrosa
 Spencer, IN
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Wed, Jun 27 '07 at 05:05 UTC)

Hi Marty,

Rosemary and thyme do pretty well as houseplants. You might also consider sprouting some garlic cloves for green garlic -- just plant a bunch of garlic cloves about an inch deep in a big pot. Very easy.

If you Google "growing herbs indoors" I bet you'll get a ton of info.

Locavore
 El Cerrito, CA
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Thu, Jun 28 '07 at 01:04 UTC)

Good luck with your 100 Mile Chalenge! I'm working on one myself in northern California. Winter's the hard part, of course, so dry, can, freeze and store as much as you can! I have been trying to work up the nerve to try caning, but haven't yet, so my freezer is filled with spagheti sauce, chicken broth etc.

Out of curiosity, for you and other city-dwelling Locavores out there, what kinds of local sources are you using? Have you been able to get a lot directly from farms, or more through markets?

What kinds of products have you found difficult to get locally? For me, it's pasta, oats and, surprizingly, fish.

I would love to hear from other people in northern California (San Francisco area, ideally) who are taking this chalenge. What have your experiences been?

Michaela Daystar--Growing Organic in the Suburbs
 Virides
 Lenox, Michigan
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Sat, Jul 28 '07 at 04:54 UTC)

Not that this is a timely response (or helpful as I am really REALLY new to participating on a forum of any kind); but I have not had good experiences ever with Rosemary grown indoors. I have found amidst even a variety of zones from temperate to frigid, that rosemary (nor lavender) likes the indoors one whit.

If you want to actually grown herbs indoors, I have found spending extra time giving them outdoor air and falling rains helps them sustain better in what (to the plant that loves the outdoors!) is an inhospitable environment.

Again, just speaking from hands on knowledge; I found that garlics, chervil, parsely, mint, certain greens (like arugular) and origanums or thymes, fared better indoors than lavenders and rosemaries. Sage also will hang on indoors but tends to prefer the variety of outdoor air as well. (IE: If its kept indoors for years without a good airing and potting change - it lets you know of its misery!)

Hope this helps. Green blessings!

"in a dream you found a way.... and you were full of joy...."
 wintersaurora1
 Keyport
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '07 at 04:06 UTC)

Basil is a good one indoors too - it likes lots of sun and will keep growing as long as you pinch it back. I grow all kind of varieties indoors and have had much success with them through the winter. Just be sure they are in or near a nice sunny window and keep them watered to the touch.

Sharon Hubbs-Kreft, Certified Herbalist
 hp
 Las Cruces
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '07 at 10:01 UTC)

As far as basil is concerned, there are dwarf varieties that do well inside. I have one in the window now and it seems to love it there. The chives, on the other hand, didn't do well at all for me.

Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '07 at 04:11 UTC)

I dry a lot of herbs, leave the leaves whole and store them in the freezer. Freshly dried herbs are a whole 'nother animal compared to store bought. With basil I take fresh basil and process it with olive oil and freeze it for winter use, you can do the same with pesto.

A great book for eating local through winter is Root Cellering by Mike and Nancy Bubel. Takes you through what foods are good for winter storage and how and where in your house/apartment to store them. It would be nearly impossible to do a 100 mile diet without such knowledge

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 Pure
 Lansing
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Fri, Dec 28 '07 at 12:44 UTC)

I started growing herbs for the first time this year. I had a horrible time doing it (first time growing anything ever) and I gave up and put them on the back porch.

Then they thrived. LOL! I guess I just needed to leave them alone.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Best indoor herbs    (Posted Fri, Dec 28 '07 at 03:19 UTC)

By the way, do sprouts fit into your 100-mile diet? You can even grow pea sprouts and wheatgrass in a little bit of soil on your counter. Wheatgrass is a little strong the first few times you eat or juice it, so take it easy. I do all kinds of sprouts, even though we have fresh garden produce all winter. I just like them. I stay away from soybeans, though, because of the trypsin enzyme inhibitor.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.