Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 4 replies To this message.

Author Topic: milk goats needed in upstate ny
Click to reply to this message
  melamom
  Port Crane
milk goats needed in upstate ny    (Posted Sun, Nov 9 '08 at 07:47 UTC)

My husband and I are possibly interested in purchasing milking goats for personal use and are wondering where to get started. Where do we start looking to purchase them and how much should we expect to pay? I have done some research on the care of them, but are not really sure where to purchase them from and what kind of price would be reasonable. We currently live near Binghamton, NY.

Amy Fletcher-Cooped Up Acres
 dunlooken
 Glencoe
Re: milk goats needed in upstate ny    (Posted Tue, Nov 25 '08 at 03:26 UTC)

Hi,
There are many good dairy goat breeders in New York but they can be difficult to find if you don't know where to look. The best bet is to just do a search for dairy goat New York and see what comes up. You'll really want to start with good healthy stock from a breeder who can mentor you as you learn about them. These goats won't be cheap but they are well worth the cost!
You'll want goats that are CAE and CL neg. If the breeder doesn't know what you're talking about they don't know goats and you should look elsewhere.
Prices for a good producing doe that isn't show quality should be about $400. You can find them for much less but you're often buying grief.

Bev
 angel415steph
 Cohocton
Re: milk goats needed in upstate ny    (Posted Mon, Jan 26 '09 at 04:37 UTC)

I have nubian dairy goats and would love to chat with you about how wonderful they are. We have been raising them for about 10 years now. Have excellent veterinary knowledge and would be able to help you find some does that would be a great starter project. Please respond.

melamom
 Port Crane
Re: milk goats needed in upstate ny    (Posted Mon, Jan 26 '09 at 06:37 UTC)

I would love to get that information! Thanks.

Amy Fletcher-Cooped Up Acres
 Farmandfiber
 Upton
Re: milk goats needed in upstate ny    (Posted Mon, Feb 9 '09 at 10:44 UTC)

I am not sure as to your milk requirements, but Nigerian Dwarf Goats are the smaller version of dairy goats. They do not require as much acreage. I have a herd in Massachusetts with excellent lineage. You can check out my website at http://www.farmandfiber.com. I will be more than happy to answer questions.

-Lisa