Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 5 replies To this message.

Author Topic: goat butter
Click to reply to this message
  farmer.boy
  Huntsville
goat butter    (Posted Thu, Sep 9 '10 at 10:53 UTC)

Hello,
My daughters started milking a couple of does last month. They separate the nannies and kid at night, milk in the morning then let the nannies and kids together the rest of the day. So they milk once a day. It works ok and we get about 1 quart from each nanny. The milk usually is fine for 2 or 3 days then it get an interesting smell and flavor.
They have tried making butter. Everything we read talks about letting it set to get the cream. I know it won't separate very much naturally. It seems like if you wait long enough for it to separate it begins to smell pretty strong. We have tried setting it in the fridge and on the counter. After a few hours all we get on top is something like a curdle. Shouldn't it be like whipping cream from the store?
thanks
Stanley
PS. Sometimes I eat a bowl of cocoa crispies and it seems really strange. Pouring this raw all natural milk on a highly processed, preserved, artificially sweetened fake "food".

flaja
Re: goat butter    (Posted Sun, Jun 5 '11 at 10:44 UTC)

Does goat milk have enough cream in it to make it worth the effort of making butter? You are likely better off turning the milk into cheese.

dunlooken
 Glencoe
Re: goat butter    (Posted Thu, Jun 9 '11 at 07:55 UTC)

Butter made from goat milk can be just as delicious as cow milk butter but it is hard to get cream without a separator. There is certainly enough butter fat to make butter.
Skimming the cream off of the top really doesn't work that well.

Bev
 laceycoleman
 New York
Re: goat butter    (Posted Tue, Dec 20 '11 at 10:41 UTC)

i'm also using these essential oils in some of the soap, and some of the soap will have no added ingredients for sensitive skin: tea tree, lavender, lemon and tangerine? thanks.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111205214629AAfUDPC

lacey coleman
 MilkMaiden
 Big Sur
Re: goat butter    (Posted Thu, Mar 1 '12 at 03:37 UTC)

Goats milk is naturally homogenized (meaning the fat globs are all about the same size, and they stay suspended in the milk with all the other solids.) A separator can work, but in my research they are prohibitively expensive for home use.

BZYB Farm
 McLoud IOklahoma
Re: goat butter    (Posted Sun, Feb 24 '13 at 09:48 UTC)

The best advice I have been given is to let the milk set for a couple of
days and then run it through one of those measuring cups that seperates fat from liquid (pours from thebottom) and then pour off the liquid from underneath the risen cream. You dont get much at a time but if you put it in the freezer and just add to it here and there it can accumulate enough to do something with without having to purchase a seperator