Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 11 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Goats Milk and Infants
Click to reply to this message
  RylynnJames
  Newport Beach
Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Tue, Nov 15 '11 at 10:36 UTC)

I am an new, first time mom and my milk supply hasn't come in after a month of trying to breastfeed and pump. Everything I've read, and what I've been told by my midwife, is that raw goats milk is the best substitute for breast milk yet everything I see online says that it's illegal to consume raw milk in California. Can anyone help me as to why that is? I can't seem to find any answers. I've been looking into Goat farms by those web sites state that the raw goat's milk is for pet consumption only. Can I still choose to feed that to my infant? I want to be able to get my child off formula ASAP. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica
 SlowMoneyFarm
 Nauvoo
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Tue, Nov 15 '11 at 11:23 UTC)

In a word - regulations. Raw milk can carry risk esp to infants. It's listed as pet milk because most with goats can't afford grade A status. If you're in CA check Redwood Hills dairy - not sure if they have raw but may have pasteurized

Investing in a Taste of the Country
 vaughan
 Hiram
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Thu, Nov 17 '11 at 01:11 UTC)

I fed goats milk to my infant. I could buy it from just about any grocery store. It was pasturized. But you will need to add a vitamin to it. I also added molasses to it too. She is almost 4 now, So I can't remember what vitamin I added and why I put molasses. I purchased the liquid vitamin from my local Vitamin & Herb store and they told me how much to add to the milk.

Anna
 BlueSpoonFarm
 Groton
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Wed, Jan 11 '12 at 02:43 UTC)

Contact the LaLache League. They may be able to help you with your milk supply. They helped me quite a bit. My son had allergies to the foods that I ate.
http://www.llli.org/

520 West Groton Rd. Groton NY (607)898-9050
 FMueller
 New York
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Tue, Mar 27 '12 at 08:50 UTC)

I heard that too.
The raw goat milk is even better than mother's milk. That's what the doctor said to my mum when I was born and wouldn't eat.
I think you should look for some farmers. It's the only way to get the milk.
m4atomp3converter.org/
m4a to mp3 converter

Shari
 Beryl UT
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Mon, Apr 16 '12 at 08:25 UTC)

Goat milk is more easily digested than cows milk.It is naturally homogenized as the fat molecules don't rise to the top like cream.

As for raw goat milk, it's very easy to pasteurize at home. Using a double-boiler (or crock pot), bring the milk to at least 145 degrees for 30 minutes stirring constantly to retain as many of the good enzymes as possible.

I personally milk a goat, and won't drink the milk raw. I pasteurize my milk by taking it to 165 degrees for about 20 seconds.

The real key to not getting any off flavors is to chill the milk quickly. I use a cold water bath and stir the milk constantly until it reaches about room temperature. I pour that milk into a glass container and refrigerate. Use no larger container than 1 gallon.

I'm not familiar with the need for an additional vitamin, so can't speak to that.

Four Country Gals, the ONLY Certified Organic Produce farm in SW Utah. Also custom-raised lamb and rabbit available.
 crazygoatlady
 Buffalo
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Tue, Apr 24 '12 at 08:04 UTC)

I'm a dairy goat/cow farmer and my best advise to you is to get to know your farmer and ask lots of questions about sanitation, animal health and milking procedures. Do your homework/research, and get reviews from other customers.
I tell everyone to try before you buy, and if the farmer won't let you sample be VERY weary, there's a reason.
When in doubt, pasteurize. 165*F will sufficiently kill off anything bad, but it doesn't get rid of chemicals/drugs so be sure to ask about de-wormers and medications.
Best wishes.

b vanderpool
 lola
 santa clarita
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Wed, May 2 '12 at 06:38 UTC)

Contrary to the other posts here, you can buy raw goats milk in certain health food stores. Claravale Farms in Panoche CA. Look here for stores http://claravaledairy.com/store_list.html

It is not illegal thanks to some powerful and dedicated activists in our state who have managed to keep it legal until now although just barely.

ll
 Mr&MrsGilson
 Boise
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Wed, Jul 18 '12 at 12:09 UTC)

I am starting my son on goats milk as well as a vitamin supplement. He is 2 1/2 months old and was premature. I allowed my pediatric doc to immunize my poor son. And after I saw what it can do I have decided to go the holistic rout from this point forward. So far the goats milk has proven to be better than anything else he has tried. Good luck to you and let me know how it is going for you.

Changing what goes in us to change what comes out of us.
 CCH
 Cochran
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Mon, Mar 25 '13 at 06:07 UTC)

Drinking raw milk is not illegal in any state, selling it, however, is for human consumption. Personally I drank raw milk for past 5 years with no ill effects and owned milking goats for past 3 years. The most important question to ask your provider is whether they use any chemical dewormers or not. And if they follow the instructions on milk witholding times if they do use such dewormers. As another poster stated contact your La Leche Legue, there are some great consultants out there and they will help you with latching and restarting your milk production, most of the time the problems with breastfeeding come from poor latching.
If you really want to jump off the deep end, get yourself a nubian or a nigerian dwarf goat and milk her yourself. She will produce more than you need for your child and you would never go back to store bought milk.

happyhome
 Columbus Ohio
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Tue, Apr 23 '13 at 04:12 UTC)

Hello.
I have a 5mo old who has been on a goat milk formula since he was 3 weeks old. I too was unable to breastfeed and my midwife suggested a "whole" formula for him.
FYI: We had his 5mo check up yesterday and he is above average in his growth.
Having said that, I always get a world of &@#$ from his DR (not who I want to see, but she takes my insurance) about his diet. She is uneducated in natural living. She is consistently pressuring me to put him on a powdered, processed GMO formula found at any store and my answer is always the same..."you show me proof its better than his diet now and I will show you how its not". She does not deter my resolve.

ANYWAY... here are the ingredients I put in his formula and the measurements. All of the following ingredients are ORGANIC:

2 cups goat milk
2 cups rice milk
1TBSP flax seed oil
1TBSP blackstrap molasses
1TBSP probiotic acidophilus
1tsp liquid baby vitamin C
1tsp liquid calcium/magnesium
16 drops trace minerals
*liquid baby multi vitamin if desired, according to directions

This makes about 6 5oz bottles. I have purchased 8oz mason jars and make up 2 days worth of food that I freeze and thaw when needed.

I encourage you to research the ingredients, you will feel very encouraged that your child is getting what he/she needs AND it is "whole". There are several variations to the recipe, again do your research and find what best fits you and your baby. I give my son the acidophilus because when we were in the hospital for a true emergency C-Section, the DR's played the 'dead baby card' on me and took him to the ICU because they said he had an infection..HE DID NOT. However, he had unnecessary antibiotics pumped into his perfect body and I want to restore/flush his gut with natural flora.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

Mamawilson
 Kerrville
Re: Goats Milk and Infants    (Posted Fri, Mar 14 '14 at 05:58 UTC)

Where did you get this recipe for the goats milk concoction for your baby? And can you explain the purpose for each ingredient?! Thank you!

Hi! We have tried your recipe and so far so good...however I was curious why certain ingredients are added an where you came up with this recipe. Thank you for responding!