Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 2 replies To this message.

Author Topic: how do I harvest cranberry seeds?
Click to reply to this message
  kodiakgirl
  kodiak
how do I harvest cranberry seeds?    (Posted Fri, Jan 7 '11 at 08:08 UTC)

help, does anyone know how to harvest cranberry seeds for planting? I can't get anyone to send me plants for some reason, but I have a bag of organic cranberries, maybe those seeds will work. Also, how to harvest persimmon seeds (I have a few rotting). any info welcome! thanks

heather
 Deanco
 Tasmania
Re: how do I harvest cranberry seeds?    (Posted Sat, Sep 3 '11 at 06:23 UTC)

I would treat them like blueberry seeds because they are in the same family.

I successfully germinated many hundreds of blueberry seeds by taking a few of the best and biggest blueberries from my deepfreeze, thawing them in water and letting them go mushy, then spreading them over potting mix (or soil raisin mix) in punnets in a greenhouse. The freezer experience will duplicate waiting through a cold winter and trick the seeds into germinating when they are on warm soil.

The tiny seedlings came up thickly and I waited until the first true leaves appeared before very carefully transplanting to individual small pots with the help of a fine bamboo skewer. Keep moist and don't let them dry out at any stage. You should use acidic potting mix (for azaleas) if you can get it. Feed occasionally with weak organic liquid fertilizer. It may take a couple of years before the plants are big enough to plant out.

Persimmons grow from fresh seed immediately potted up - just wait.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

kodiakgirl
 kodiak
Re: how do I harvest cranberry seeds?    (Posted Sat, Sep 3 '11 at 11:21 UTC)

Wow, I planted cranberry seeds in spring and was dissappoi8nted!! I didn't try cold. THank You!!

heather