Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 9 replies To this message.

Author Topic: volunteer grains
Click to reply to this message
  farmer.boy
  Huntsville
volunteer grains    (Posted Sat, Apr 14 '12 at 09:40 UTC)

Say a person had some pastured poultry on a plot and then next season they saw some grains growing there. Say most of the available grains in the area used in poultry feed were GE. Is the volunteer grain also GE? Will the person go to prison?

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Sat, Apr 14 '12 at 10:46 UTC)

Yes, it is likely the grains were GE (GMO in the usual parlance). No you will not go to prison. First of all, it depends on if the variety was patented, then if there is a penalty, then if you replanted them yourself, then if the seed company actually gives a rip, then if the costs were not prohibitive, then if the court actually gives a rip, then if the court uses the Canadian precedents. (There might be American precedents too - I don't know.)

I suggest you whack them all down before they are mature and then feed cracked grain from now on.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 Sunny Gardener
 Bon Air
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Mon, Apr 16 '12 at 03:01 UTC)

Grain is a weak point in our work developing strong local food systems.

How about if we help build a sustainable system for animal feed? Find and support organic grain growers, or at least those who don't grow patented seed. I am growing a bunch of dent corn for the chickens; I believe they are clever enough to get the seeds off the cob and enjoy their time spent doing so.

And of course, free range chickens require less purchased food.

I know people who growing wheat and rye for flour, and there are organic edamame seed available for family use which can be fed to the critters as well. I suspect that cover crops such as rye could be left to hard seed stage and harvested, leaving the straw. It would require timing, but as farmers we depend on that in many matters.

Lightly on the Ground
 farmer.boy
 Huntsville
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Apr 18 '12 at 01:36 UTC)

On further reflection I wonder if you can test by spraying with roundup. If it doesn't hurt it then it has the gene splice to make it roundup ready.

kodiakgirl
 kodiak
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Apr 18 '12 at 02:37 UTC)

if you want poison on your property just to test.

heather
 farmer.boy
 Huntsville
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Apr 18 '12 at 02:54 UTC)

I read lately the fda or usda declared roundup is ubiquitous. It is every where.

kodiakgirl
 kodiak
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Apr 18 '12 at 03:26 UTC)

The fda or usda is swayed by big money. Roundup remains for far longer than they admit, causing farmland thats been treated with roundup unusable for anything other than round up ready grain. If you have netflix you can watch documented examples of this. It remains in the soil and it's deadly. Would you want your chickens grazing in areas where you've used pesticide, then eat the eggs or chickens? My grandpa always believed what the pesticide people told him and he died an agonizing death of cancer for it. He only ate deer and veggies from his garden. Never believe what the usda or fda tells you. Pesticides that are considered to be "safe" by their standards are ruining the planet. Mild side effects could be endocrine disrupting, so you'll only weigh 400 pounds. Your groundwater will be poisoned also, so hope you don't have a well. Maybe you could look on the internet under "roundup effects" like I did. You will see there is plenty of evidence it will kill you. You do know that Monsanto (who makes it) is the biggest threat to human health out there right? True evil.

heather
 farmer.boy
 Huntsville
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Apr 18 '12 at 07:54 UTC)

It only gets worse. I saw where monsanto bought some company involved with honey bees. They will probably develop some new strain of killer bees.

kodiakgirl
 kodiak
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Apr 18 '12 at 08:00 UTC)

No, they just won't have to sue themselves when the honey bees are extinct

heather
 That guy
 Marengo, WI
Re: volunteer grains    (Posted Wed, Oct 30 '13 at 06:44 UTC)

Unless it is corn or soybeans, you have no worry