Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 2 replies To this message.

Author Topic: WARNING: STOLEN PRODUCE
Click to reply to this message
  Wildflower3875
  Chatsworth, GA
WARNING: STOLEN PRODUCE    (Posted Mon, Jul 9 '12 at 09:35 UTC)

Please be aware that there is a crop theft ring in the Northwest Georgia area that's going onto people's farms at night or while nobody is there and stealing entire crops. At the blueberry farm that I work at in Chatsworth, GA, we had our main harvest stolen. The Murray County Sheriff's Department didn't take the theft very seriously, even though the thieves stole around $5,000 worth of blueberries. Other people I know have had crops stolen or know people who have had their crops stolen too. They're not just stealing blueberries, they're also stealing corn, squash, muscadines, etc. From what I've heard, they're staking out farms, stealing crops, and taking them to Atlanta and other cities to sell. If you're a farmer in Northwest Georgia you may want to camp out in your field to keep an eye on it starting about a week or so before the harvest. If you're a buyer, please don't buy any produce at farmer's markets unless the seller can tell you exactly where they came from. If a seller at a farmer's market refuses to tell you where the produce came from, you may want to notify the police, because it may be stolen.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: WARNING: STOLEN PRODUCE    (Posted Tue, Jul 10 '12 at 04:06 UTC)

We are likely to hear more of this soon enough in other parts of the country.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 Wildflower3875
 Chatsworth, GA
Re: WARNING: STOLEN PRODUCE    (Posted Wed, Jul 11 '12 at 02:53 UTC)

Yeah, I know. I did a search on "crop thefts" and found out that pecans are the most commonly stolen crop in South Georgia and crop thefts are a big problem in Spain right now. So it's not limited to just North Georgia, I just have personal experience with stolen blueberries in North Georgia.