Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 4 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Hucksters
Click to reply to this message
  FarmerDeeDee
  East Aurora
Hucksters    (Posted Mon, Aug 13 '12 at 11:32 UTC)

Interested in feedback from other growers about their experience with hucksters at their market. I'm a small grower, 100% farm-generated product, competing with 2-3 hucksters at my market who truck in produce from the local terminal and pass it off as "local and homegrown." Mainly interested in how others have dealt with this, and any tools I can use to see the season through.

Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Hucksters    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '12 at 11:01 UTC)Positive Rank

I deal with this by only selling at producer only markets. if they allow reselling than I do not sell at that market.

But what you have to do is educate the customers and you will anger the pinhookers/hucksters by pointing out to as many as possible that they are reselling the exact same food as your local grocery stores and they are likely charging people a lot more for the food. than start educating the customers as to why your food is better (local, sustainable, etc)

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 FarmerDeeDee
 East Aurora
Re: Hucksters    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '12 at 11:13 UTC)

Thanks. I've started changing my signage and my pitch to emphasize this. I also have a few appreciative customers who know the difference, but I'm at a market where most people don't. I'm trying to get into a growers-only market next year. I really see it as fraud and dishonesty, and I'm not too concerned with angering the others. I guess it's really up to the market manager, isn't it?

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Hucksters    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '12 at 11:24 UTC)Positive Rank

Take it up w/ the market manager. Maybe put some rules in place that resellers can only have 20% of their total wares from off farm sources.

Our market does it by weight. So for example, if I have 500 lbs of produce and poultry to sell this week, I can have up to 100lbs of "resell" items. It allows for those who want to resell (or had crop failure), but still maintains integrity of the producer only market.

L'il Farmer
 Big Lake, MN
Re: Hucksters    (Posted Sun, Aug 26 '12 at 04:28 UTC)Positive Rank

Aw Jeez, get even more direct with your signage. Show photos. Be blunt. Yes I would only ever sell at a vendor produced only market.

Grandma's Garden, naturally raised veggies, herbs and cut flowers.