Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 13 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Csa farmier is a joke....
Click to reply to this message
  Eggwhites
  Rochester
Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Fri, Jul 27 '12 at 05:44 UTC)

I paid my share and I want my share. How can a farm lack water, staff and mislead there members and not give back refunds? I am disgusted with this CSA farm and how they feel they can get over on there members.

i am not a farmer but educated in what I am supposed to get and I know that plants need"WATER" everyday. When your farm lacks irrigation due to your well system , well that is not my problem and I should have been informed of that problem before now. I was told you were a up and running working organic CSA farm. I am disgusted with your practices.

Also who picks old veggies and gives them to there CSA members? Your so called farmer! For weeks we have given this farm a chance and in hopes it would in improve, but after the bad veggies given to us time and time again, well your ignorance out weighs the remorse I can no longer give your farm. Staff of one,hmmm, why did everyone leave your farm?

Enough said, , I need information about a up[ and running CSA farm that can produce veggies, fruits and knows customer service to there members. Also a qualified farmer would be nice.

CSA can rip people off if you don't ask the right questions from the beginning.Organic practices are questioned when you are using chemicals that are not natural.
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sat, Jul 28 '12 at 11:48 UTC)

- I assume you're in Rochester as your tag says?
- what CSA are you referring too, it would help to educate others..
- any pics of the weekly share?

Eggwhites
 Rochester
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sun, Jul 29 '12 at 02:48 UTC)

I am in the Rochester area. Also this farm resides in Bloomfield ,New York where the farmer needs education but fails to realize he needs help running his farm.
The farm is called Fiddlers Greens. They claim to be organic but when I called NOFA, the farm only has taken the pledge.I NOW KNOW THE DIFFERENC OF A PLEDGE AND CERTIFICATION OF ORGANIC FARMING.The scams so call farmers will run to take your money.

Any advice offered to gain my full refund and what major questions to ask a CSA would be helpful.

No pics of the share but it is about $ 3.00 - $5.00 worth of crap. The Farm only produces an hour of water a day, this is what the farmer disclosed, seeking sympathy and talking about a CSA is risky. This CSa had water problems way before I bought a share into this troubled farm.

CSA can rip people off if you don't ask the right questions from the beginning.Organic practices are questioned when you are using chemicals that are not natural.
 Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sun, Jul 29 '12 at 10:12 UTC)

If you kenw there were prob;ems than why did you join? It sounds like the farmer has been up front about sharing the risks of farming with him as a CSA member. it really soiunds to me like you misinterpreted what to expect and now you are angry and want a refund when you should not expect one

Next time ask how long the CSA has been around (the longer the better and any farm that has been farming under 5 years will likely have problems with production because the farmers are still learning and it is a steep learning curve). Ask if you can talk to members and former members (always good to fond out why they quit). If they are claiming to be Organic than ask to see their certification, if they do not have papers they are not certified Organic. And in that case ask about their farming practices such as their crop rotation plan, fertility plan, where they get seeds, what kind of fertilizers they use, what kind of pesticides they use (yes, there are pesticides allowed on organic farms-see http://www.omri.org for a complete list), do they use herbicides (if yes ask just what kind as there are few Organic herbicides-vinegar and corn gluten meal are about it). Always ask to see the farm, if refused that is a red flag (this often means there is no real farm or there are serious problems on the farm that the farmer doesn't want people to know about). there should be a weekly newsletter and there should be some on farm activities and volunteer opportunities, especially if everything is delivered and the members do not have to actually visit the farm.

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sun, Jul 29 '12 at 12:18 UTC)

Which is it, he disclosed water issues or not? 1st post you say he didn't tell you, next post you say he did.

Regardless, it sounds like at some point you were informed of problems on the farm, you might be able to get a refund for the remaining weeks of your share.

Can I ask how many weeks is the share, how much did you pay? You say $3-5 worth of crap... like non edible? Or stuff you don't like to eat?

I assume there's edible product in your share.... ?

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sun, Jul 29 '12 at 12:21 UTC)

Nevermind, I didn't look for them on LH... It appears they have been in business for 3 years... and while there's no pictures, they do have info about their product. Could you elaborate more about what your problem w/ the shares are other than... $5 of crap, and no water on the farm. (it's not uncommon to dryland farm)

60. Fiddler?s Greens
3106 Taft Rd, Bloomfield, NY 14469

Vegetables
Kit Fallon
Tel: 315-521-9630

Fiddler?s Green?s is offering 30 CSA shares in 2011. Their CSA program runs 20 weeks, from June through October. A Full Share costs $500.00, and a Half Share costs $400.00. There are 6 hours of work required on the farm. Pick ups are at the farm on Saturdays or Thursdays in Geneva.

This year we are raising over 70 varieties of vegetables and herbs. Our registration form includes a questionnaire requesting information on your favorites

Fiddler's Greens, LLC is a CSA and market garden operation featuring organically -raised vegetables (specializing in Heirloom varieties) and herbs. We are seeking members for the 2011 season. Separate shares available for free-range meat chickens.

Our 60-acre historic farm this year is expanding to include a 30 member organic CSA, and we will be hosting public classes and workshops in a wide range of areas, from fiddle classes to canning and food preservation workshops. Farm tours available after May 1, by appointment. Also looking for interns and WWOOF volunteers beginning in May. We are located in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of western NY. Our area is known for its wineries, wonderful scenery, temperate climate (frequently on the overcast side), and rural charm.

CSA Details:
- Season: June through October
- Type: Single farm
- Since: 2009
- No of Shares: 30

rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sun, Jul 29 '12 at 02:05 UTC)

On our CSA, we ask 3 hours work/week. It cost $600/year . There are no non- working members . I find that when people work side by side they understand the difficulty of growing the food and realize the value of it AND become educated about all sorts of issues in growing foods from weeds to weather to pest problems . Our members are involved and I no longer want to grow for people that can't or won't get involved. Our members get a real education as well as about $50.00 worth of food a week for the $12/week spent.( PLUS their labor )No, it is not always pretty but they learn how to make use of all the foods and can or freeze it as well as save seeds ,edible weeds, companion planting and so much more. CSA's can be much more that getting a box of food. I suggest you go help! It may help you have a deeper understanding of what is involved in growing your food. If this farm IS truely as you say it is, you will be able to check it out on a deeper level.:)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 Eggwhites
 Rochester
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sun, Jul 29 '12 at 07:23 UTC)

Th water problem was not disclosed until one week ago and the then the farmer shared in a heated argument with my mother that the well pumps out only enough water for an hour a day last night. This argument happened when the farmer called at 9:30 pm at night ranting and raving that I called NOFA and Cornell Cooperative extension on his farm.

The share is always consisting of old veggies which is bitter lettuce, kale, and small sections of herbs. Once I received 4 carrots the size of my pinky and peas that were picked old because they were brown and curled up. I was unaware that this so called farmer lacked farming education until now. My wording could have been put differently and I don't invest anything unless I feel that it will work. I trusted my mothers friend who is the one running this so called CSA farm and I am sure some CSA farms are great but others are a scam.

I do understand the personal risk involved in the farming but I should have been aware of the water issue before and lack of staff way before as well. I have learned my lesson and what to ask of course but people lie and no matter what question is asked the farmer still could lie , for they want your money and they will tell you you what you want to hear.

I have lost my money but I will make sure that this farm lacks in a recommendation from me and it will get a bad review as well. What ever happened to an honest business where you work together and treat your customers with respect and dignity. This whole deal was not fair and as my grandmother would say life is not fair.

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Mon, Jul 30 '12 at 11:25 UTC)

Organic practices are questioned when you are using chemicals that are not natural.

^^ Could you explain your signature line? Chemicals aren't natural....

There are plenty of "non natural" organically approved substances out there...

L'il Farmer
 Big Lake, MN
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Sat, Aug 4 '12 at 04:40 UTC)

Well there are some bad apples out there that make it hard for the rest of us. I think they are a minority though.

Grandma's Garden, naturally raised veggies, herbs and cut flowers.
 Triway Sustainable
 Wooster
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 02:04 UTC)

Don't buy from them anymore, obviously, and let them learn what they need to learn. But do not spend your time with a sore belly from sour grapes. That only weakens you.

Your point is well taken; CSA farmers need to produce or refund, at least in part. You made it very clear, and for that, thanks.

Stay well and keep finding reasons to be happy.

Helping students learn to compost, grow organic foods, and take great care of our resources.
 Eggwhites
 Rochester
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 04:51 UTC)

Thank you, I have decided to learn more about CSA farming before I get involved again. I also thought about growing my own veggies even with the little land I have. Books and education from the community can help. This experience has taught me so much where if you want something done right , you might as well do it yourself.

rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 05:26 UTC)

I do think we need more consumers involved in the process of growing their foods. If you don't have a place to garden perhaps you can find others in your area to start a community garden Often they have squares of raised beds and each person gets their own beds . I personally have a system where much more space is involved and we all work together and share the harvests Not only do members get more food but they also learn gardening skills as well as how to preserve and cook the foods . The best part is the friendships that can develop. :)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 Triway Sustainable
 Wooster
Re: Csa farmier is a joke....    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 06:01 UTC)

yep, I think you deserve a refund.

Helping students learn to compost, grow organic foods, and take great care of our resources.