Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 14 replies To this message.

Author Topic: csa reviews or ratings
Click to reply to this message
  bulldawg
  Kent Island
csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Sun, Aug 12 '12 at 11:02 UTC)

I signed up for a CSA for the first time this year and I am so DISAPPOINTED. The quality, quantity, and diversity of the food provided is not at all what I expected. It seems as if the farm is unloading their otherwise unsellable produce on CSA members. Is there any website, etc. where CSA are reviewed or rated so that we can explore other options for next year?

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Sun, Aug 12 '12 at 12:05 UTC)

If they are listed on Local harvest.. you can review them on this site... Under ethe CSA tab.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Sun, Aug 12 '12 at 04:54 UTC)

Since we are in the middle of the season, you should be able to buy sample boxes from other CSA farms in your area. I give pro-rated refunds for any reason whatsoever, and your current program may do the same. Take your money and buy a sample share each week from different programs and compare them.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 bulldawg
 Kent Island
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Sun, Aug 12 '12 at 10:28 UTC)

Thanks! I will try buying a one week share from some other CSAs. I really do like the idea of buying locally and I want to find a good source for next year. I have a half share and this past week, we got 26 (YES --- 26!) ears of wormy corn and one cantaloupe! My CSA is not listed on LocalHarvest by city or zip code.

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Mon, Aug 13 '12 at 11:49 UTC)

lol what... your entire share was corn and a melon? That's totally bogus...

Can I ask what the farm/csa name is ?

rosysage
 Delmar
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Mon, Aug 13 '12 at 12:22 UTC)

Some CSA's do not even offer corn and if they do it is bought in hybrid corn . One year we grew 3 varieties of open pollinated sweet corns which ARE very rare these days We asked our members to rate them for taste so we could select the best one to grow for seed for the future . I value sweet corn for $1.00/ear It usually has a worm in the tip since I prefer not to spray .Not one member bothered to rate the corn .One said the corn was tough and wormy and threw it out because it did not look liker the super sweet stuff that passes as corn these days and is mostly genetically modified too. Melons here are also rare. The cantelopes are $5 and watermelons are $12.00 and up .Many consumers have been trained to only want seedless melons ! CSA's are not grocery stores even though many expect this perfect selection of washed pretty produce . It is also about saving seeds and insuring a local food supply that also is sustainable . This season has been a record breaking drought. Here in our gardens, the groundhogs are eating the cantelopes before they are even ripe. Before you judge how you are being ripped off by a grower, try walking in his shoes for a while. I don't even want to grow for people unless they also work by my side in the gardens . Then they know whats going on and why!

Sharon Carson
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Mon, Aug 13 '12 at 11:51 UTC)

Who says a CSA HAS to offer corn? Who says it has to be a non hybrid?
I'm playing devils advocate here... But hybridized corn isn't bad.. it is not the same as GMO corn (which I think is what you're speaking of).

A worm is okay.. but you don't have to spray.. You can use mineral oil on the tassel of the corn (once it's started to brown, or you'll interfere w/ pollination) to keep worms and jap. beetles out. Spraying isn't always the ONLY option.

rosysage
 Delmar
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '12 at 02:03 UTC)

Not saying hybrid corn is bad or is GMO . Only saying it gives up the security of owning the seed or developing it for your community. As far as a worm in the end of an ear of corn, It does not offend me. Why should the grower bother treating each ear with oil because of fussy people .The worm is not actually in the ear. You just cut off the tip. The same with blemishes in apples. Consumers expect perfect fruit but WE are not perfect and it takes a lot of spraying even with "acceptable' organic which are costly and time consuming to do . I feel any food I or my family would eat is also good enough for the consumer . We waste a lot of food that is not perfect and those perfect foods often aren't fit to eat.They might look good but the taste and nutrition is not there. Just my 2 cents here :)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '12 at 11:28 UTC)

So you're okay w/ earworms.. because you can't be bothered to spend an afternoon squirting oil on the tassel? I can cover 1/4 acre of corn in no time....

Apples, yes very difficult to grow organically, you need one heck of an IPM plan and *some* organically approved sprays IMO to produce the type of apple that consumers are used to and want. I do strive to educate my customers that it is okay to have some blemishes, especially on fruit...

rosysage
 Delmar
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Tue, Aug 14 '12 at 01:21 UTC)

I don't have time or inclination to squirt oil on the silks. No, the insects do not bother me. The groundhogs eating the melons just before they are ripe do! We sprayed our orchard twice with organic sprays, Once with dormant oil and once with a organic spray at petal drop . I have so much fruit I am canning apple juice every day but can't sell the apples because they are not"Perfect". The applesauce , juice and dried apples are fabulous and tasty! Consumers do not know what they are missing! :)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 07:53 UTC)

I'm glad you are swimming in apples!! We have a dozen apple trees here, and 9-10 of them have barely any fruit due to the blossoms popping early this spring in the warm weather, than a cold snap offed them. Oh well !

Eggwhites
 Rochester
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 05:03 UTC)

We are having the same problem with produce that is not edible and we are not getting the veggies as promised. We found out they have only one staff member and unable to keep any staff. We have asked why but the farmer refuses to answer any question we have about the farm.He is very limited to what information he shares about his farming practices and we were all told he was certified organic, come to find out a call to NOFA explained the difference of the farmers pledge and certified organic. Our farm was never organic to begin with and they had existing problems before they sold CSA shares. I did alot of research about the farm and called NOFA and Cornell Cooperative extension and asked for help.

I wanted a refund of my money and I am pursuing the CSA farm in small claims court. Take pics of your share and contact all members of your CSA that you know of to find out about how they feel. Do your homework and see if they are a real CSA and how honest they are with there paperwork. There alot of free information available to people , you just have to ask for or write a letter.These fake farms that take money need to be stopped!!!!!

CSA can rip people off if you don't ask the right questions from the beginning.Organic practices are questioned when you are using chemicals that are not natural.
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Wed, Aug 15 '12 at 05:37 UTC)

It is nice to put up extra fruits in good years to hold you over in the years when there is no fruit. We have 3 huge fig bushes this year loaded with fruit as well as pears, apples, grapes ,blackberries and gooseberries. In years past there was very little fruit some years . I can the juice, make jelly, wine,applesauce pie filling and dehyrdrate a lot . . The dried fruit takes very little space and lasts for years You do have to be carefull to do it properly . I plan to make a hard cider with some apples and high bush cranberries this year. I do classes on home wine making and preserving foods as well as sell the fruits and bushes
I hope you get a good fruit year next year! :)S

Sharon Carson
 bulldawg
 Kent Island
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Sat, Aug 18 '12 at 05:58 UTC)

I do not have a problem with the worms in the corn and am used to that from our own gardens. I do have a problem with getting the corn with the tips already chopped off so that rotting has started to occur. The corn was packaged in plastic bags which did not help matters!

L'il Farmer
 Big Lake, MN
Re: csa reviews or ratings    (Posted Sun, Aug 26 '12 at 04:14 UTC)

I grow heirlooms in most everything but not corn. The sweetness isn't there. Hybrid corn is perfectly acceptable since it is not GMO. I also drop oil or a light Bt spray on the ears but missed the second batch and didn't have any borers. Aphids hit the tassels on beds 3 and 4 but the lady bugs came in and got em! My second corn bed was cross pollinated with the neighbor corn because it came in 15 days ahead of the catalog DTM. It was just ok. Now that the next stuff is in and not cross pollinated OMG is it sweet!

It is just too bad there are a number of terrible CSAs out there!

Grandma's Garden, naturally raised veggies, herbs and cut flowers.