Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 0 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Starting Community Assisted Grain Growing in New Zealand
Click to reply to this message
  Kiwi
  Golden Bay New Zealand
Starting Community Assisted Grain Growing in New Zealand    (Posted Tue, Sep 25 '12 at 11:21 UTC)

Kia ora from from down under, I have a big ask - but an important one for us locally. This is a small isolated rural area on the top west of the south Island of New Zealand. Its a temperate environment with a wide range of micro climates and good soils. We have heaps of diary cow herds here. There are also some very successful vegetable growing set ups, markets etc
I work part-time as an environmental educator and have been networking to find a farmer who has the right machinery and attitude to grow grain here with community assistance. Currently no one grows grain here for human consumption let alone organically! However times are a-changing :-)
I've found the right farmer and land but we only have a general idea of how to set this up - SO - any examples of contracts, set up arrangements/structures, money systems etc would be greatly appreciated - Please?
We thought we would start with only a few hectares the first year - to learn, but with the intention of 'growing it' in both numbers involved, acerage and variety of crops.
At the moment I'm thinking something like '50 people all putting in a set amount of money, the farmer draws down the money needed for each stage of the growing/harvesting. Once harvested the 50 people will get an equal share each' - it sounds simple but I imagine there are some hic-cups we could avoid from your learnings.
Thanks so much for any help you can give us - its very exciting!
Claire

C.J.Webster