Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 3 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Opening a new CSA Farm
Click to reply to this message
  MH Farm keeper
  Claremont
Opening a new CSA Farm    (Posted Sat, Sep 29 '12 at 10:34 UTC)

Our farm in Claremont, CA wants to be operated as CSA farm. What is required and how could we begin to process?

Sung Jacob Sohn
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Opening a new CSA Farm    (Posted Sun, Sep 30 '12 at 12:06 UTC)

What is your experience with farming? Have you done anything to this scale before? CSA requires a lot of planning, succession plantings, great marketing, and a million other things.

My suggestion would be to visit another CSA and talk to them directly, get a feel for how much work goes into putting that box of food together each week... put in a little time working during harvest days, washing all that produce, packing it up etc.

Are you doing a meat csa, produce csa, milk, cheese... ?? A little more information about what it is YOU can do would be helpful for me to form a more honest reply than just " I want to start a CSA, how do I do it".

MH Farm keeper
 Claremont
Re: Opening a new CSA Farm    (Posted Mon, Oct 1 '12 at 12:13 UTC)

Greatly appreciated. Our farm was designed with ecological principles, cultivated applying permacultral methods early this year. Our farm, rather micro scale -1/6 acre size, has a small circle of members who come and picking and volunteering. I do love to visit a local CSA who is willing to help and provide detail info.

Sung Jacob Sohn
 idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Opening a new CSA Farm    (Posted Mon, Oct 1 '12 at 11:36 UTC)

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

See if any CSA are near you at the link above.

If you have people coming to the farm, already volunteering and harvesting for themselves.... are you making any money there? They would be a good start on word of mouth advertising for a CSA as well.