Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 7 replies To this message.

Author Topic: CSA - looking for advice
Click to reply to this message
  Countryliving
  Mass
CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sat, Oct 13 '12 at 11:46 UTC)

Looking for advice from experienced CSA people.

Signed up for a local CSA.
20 weeks
Bushel basket
Delivered to our home on Fridays
"Bonus" 70lbs of meat

Deliveries started later than expected, we got about 9 deliveries, questioning if some of the veggies were bought at the grocery store and we never got a full basket, pictures on their Facebook page showing him feeding "just picked field ripened" (his exact words). He threw in the towel after the 9th delivery and said there would be no more veggies and would be in touch for the meat. Of course no one has heard from him. He promised one person a refund and nothing has come yet even though that promise was months ago and when she speaks to him he gives her a drop off time and he never shows.

I can understand the risk you take on the vegetable part of the CSA to some extent but am annoyed when I see is animals eating his crops, his pictures of veggies we have never gotten, but were on his list when soliciting for members, etc. The meat is another story. He would have had to have these animals before we even signed up and it now appears he did not as 2 calfs and one pig are not enough to fulfill his promise to all the people who signed up with him.

Trying to figure out if there is anything we can do as it appears this was a scam from the start.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sat, Oct 13 '12 at 04:06 UTC)

There doesn't appear to be a solution for your particular problem, short of small claims court. Hopefully, other people will read this thread and do their legwork before committing money. As with other CSA farmers on this thread, I recommend you talk to other shareholders.

The true CSA model, of providing money in the winter so farmers can buy seed, fertilizer and other necessaries, appears to be going down the toilet - just at the time when we need it most. I suggest you start thinking creatively from the consumer end about how to provide food for your family with alternative models. The mainstream model doesn't work very well. Farmers have to be slaves AND take all the risk to provide consumers with food. In a collapsing economy that will go away.

Back in 1970-71 in Minneapolis we started North Country Co-op from the consumer end. An earlier effort was People's Pantry which also started in 1970. Those were creative efforts by consumers. Unfortunately, the co-op movement went downhill in 1975 with internal struggles and then Whole Foods came in by 1980 and changed the game dramatically. Of course we would not be in this mess without willing compliance by consumers. It is time that consumers come up with creative solutions again. Us farmers can grow all the food you want using beyond organic methods (organic methods + low carbon inputs) but you are going to have to pay us a fair wage.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sat, Oct 13 '12 at 06:17 UTC)

Totally agree . I have been part of this movement a long time since the early 70's . I refuse to be a slave and so only have 3 CSA members who also help work. (Mostly harvest their own food). I also help to educate them on how to garden and put up foods .There is no question here as to how the food is produced . Their cash donation to the garden pays the cost of buying in hay to feed our horses which is what we use to make compost. Mostly I sell seeds, plants and crafts on the internet as I can't compete with the mass produced foods out there AND consumers are not willing to go out of their way nor pay a living wage for real quality foods (.At least not around where I live.:):)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 Countryliving
 Mass
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sun, Oct 14 '12 at 12:25 UTC)

Thank you.

I had actually spoken with shareholders before I joined. We have some fantastic CSA's around our area but their veggie selection wasn't overly appealing to me. This one peaked my interest because of the meat bonus.

Thanks again....truely appreciate it!

L'il Farmer
 Big Lake, MN
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sun, Oct 14 '12 at 01:26 UTC)

I sure get sick of hearing of bad farmers not producing for their CSAs! There seem to be plenty of them.
I am going to wax rather philosophical now. It is our society and the way it is run. Everything is instant, we don't teach kids to work for anything and we don't think anyone should have to endure unpleasantness. I partnered with a woman to provide eggs. They are starting a little farm business. I paid ahead for 35 dozen at a time. It was always hard to get enough eggs from her but she seemed committed to having this partnership and regular sales. Then in late summer she dropped all contact with me even though I had 7 dozen eggs paid for and many months of wanting more. Now how stupid is that? If she had said she didn't have any but wanted my business as soon as she got more eggs she would have a continued customer. Now she has no one. The farmers who reneg on producing for the shareholders who pay ahead are so nearsighted. Don't they realize they will always need customers? It seems to me it is the lazy, stupid ones who do this. Moms and dads need to do a better job. Work hard, endure some things, and look to the future for your desires.

Grandma's Garden, naturally raised veggies, herbs and cut flowers.
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sun, Oct 14 '12 at 02:07 UTC)

I sell egg shares here for our dozen birds . I charge $5.00 /doz and they can get the eggs when they want as available . They must prepay for 25 dz. It covers the cost of the soy free organic feed. from PA I have to buy from out of state because no one in our area is on board no matter what the Green philopsophy is..
\ The problem arises when consumers who leave the USA for the growing season expect eggs when they return which is when the chickens are on Vacation! Chickens molt for a while in the fall and winter season ... consumers need to tune in .
The problem all comes down to the consumer not being connected. They are used to being served by corporate agriculture not people or nature .:)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Sun, Oct 14 '12 at 04:56 UTC)

"It all comes down to the consumer not being connected." Well put Sharon!

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 L'il Farmer
 Big Lake, MN
Re: CSA - looking for advice    (Posted Mon, Oct 15 '12 at 01:06 UTC)

Well not always. There are many legitimate bum CSA farmers complained about here that have nothing to do with the customers. Crook farmers ruin everyone's reputation.

Grandma's Garden, naturally raised veggies, herbs and cut flowers.