Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 6 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives
Click to reply to this message
  GoPackGo
  Robbinsdale
Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '12 at 01:19 UTC)

I'm looking for apple juice or preferably pressed cider. I'm looking to make wine so it can't have any chemicals in it which keep the yeast from growing.

farmer brian
 Stoutsville
Re: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '12 at 03:07 UTC)

I am not sure of your location, but look around your area for orchards that use a cold (uv) pasturization process, there are no additivies in that process in our area.

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '12 at 04:19 UTC)

Get yourself a Champion Juicer (about $200) and just buy apples to juice. The juicer will pay for itself in other ways like carrot juice, nut butters, etc.

I have a cider press AND a Champion. I use the press when I want to do large quantities (I freeze the cider in half-gallon plastic milk bottles) and the juicer during the winter when I want to have fresh cider from stored apples.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '12 at 05:47 UTC)

I ruined my champion by grinding corn with the grain attatchment. Now I have a regular juicer and a grain mill. I canned the apple and other berry juices and made a cranberry/ apple cider with the high bush cranberries we grow . Do be aware that sprays on apples are systemic so be sure you get apples that have not been sprayed at all. with any toxins . :)Sharon .

Sharon Carson
 wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '12 at 07:45 UTC)

Sharon - Sorry to hear about your experience with corn in the Champion. When I was looking for an electric flour mill, I borrowed a flour grinding attachment and it was clear to me even grinding wheat was hard on it.

I paid $175 for my Vital Mill electric flour grinder. I only use it for wheat, barley, triticale and rye. I tried buckwheat once and it was clearly putting too much pressure on the mill. I use my Corona hand grinder for buckwheat and will also use it for coarse ground corn meal. (I have been working on some flour corn varieties for this part of the country but haven't tried grinding it for polenta yet.)

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '12 at 09:06 UTC)

Hi Mr fern ,
We got a Kitchen mill from Kansas Wind Power for about $150 .00 a few years back. It has stainless steel burrs and grinds 5 # of flour in about 15 minutes.It was invented to grind herbs . I grow some hard flint corns ,so I put them through a Corona hand mill first and only grind a quart or so at a time. Even so, I have to help it along by feeding the cracked corn into the chute a bit at a time. I just cooked a pan of cornbread of my heirloom corn as we are waiting for this hurricane to pass through. I also use the hand Corona to crack the corn for the chickens . The cheap juicer have does not do as good of a job as the champion(IT was free ) but I have animals that love the pulp and I have lots of apples , pears and berries. I canned cases of juice, lots of wine and dried a lot of fruit as well.IF you can't sell it, you can at least grow lots for yourself and to gift and barter with. :)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 rotang12
 Platte City
Re: Apple Juice/Cider without preservatives    (Posted Wed, Nov 7 '12 at 06:12 UTC)

Serendipity Farm in Platte City, Missouri has RAW ORGANIC apple cider right now.

LYDIA & MICHAEL DAILEY

SERENDIPITY FARM & ORCHARD

12780 JANTZEN LANE

PLATTE CITY, MO 64079

816-330-3302