Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 2 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Advice for the startup
Click to reply to this message
  RoadsEndRanch
  Vevay
Advice for the startup    (Posted Tue, Jan 22 '13 at 06:00 UTC)

Hello all, I own land in southern Indiana and have always wanted to start a small orchard/farm. I am planning to start prepping the land this spring. I am looking for anyone who might have advice on where to find affordable soil amendments like compost, and organic growing practices. My goal is to someday grow enough fruits and veges to bring to the local market somewhere. Any and all comments welcome!

Thanks everybody!

Justin

Just starting out
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Advice for the startup    (Posted Tue, Jan 22 '13 at 06:30 UTC)Positive Rank

First do a soil test, plant a soil building cover crop, get some local animal manures that are clean(NOT commercial manures) and start a compost pile. seek out leaves, rotted hay, straw or sawdust. . Explore biodynamic agriculture . get some animals on the lqand (After you build a shelter, get water and fencing ) . Do not buy in anything except minerals seaweeds... watch out for any "Fertilizers" organic or not. They are full of industrial ag waste products .Learn to save seeds :)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 RoadsEndRanch
 Vevay
Re: Advice for the startup    (Posted Tue, Jan 22 '13 at 06:43 UTC)

Thanks Sharon,

Any thoughts on using a perennial cover crop as an orchard base. Have heavy clay soil and was hoping to improve soil quality by plow and till in some bulk organic compost, then clover cover before planting trees to prevent erosion and improve soil.

Just starting out