Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 2 replies To this message.

Author Topic: CSA and Tax Status
Click to reply to this message
  jeanmarine
  brooklyn
CSA and Tax Status    (Posted Thu, Feb 14 '13 at 07:25 UTC)

I'd love to know how CSAs deal with tax issues, with the IRS, and whether they usually file for 501(c) tax-exempt status by filing an application (or signing up with the IRS and filing Forms 990 informally), or whether they just file regular tax returns or just file nothing. (so I am also curious whether CSAs usually incorporate separately or are a part of the sponsor farm etc.)

Thanks for any feedback.

jeanne
 Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: CSA and Tax Status    (Posted Thu, Feb 14 '13 at 10:24 UTC)

we fill out a form F and SE as our CSA is not a not for profit, it is simply how Boulder Belt Eco-farm opts to market most of their produce. I believe most CSA's in the USA are for profit and either an LLC or sole proprietor, especially the single farm CSA's so they do form F, self employment and a couple of other forms.

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 jeanmarine
 brooklyn
Re: CSA and Tax Status    (Posted Thu, Feb 14 '13 at 10:51 UTC)

Thanks for posting! I think there are a few models of CSAs - the ones started by a farm (so they are part of its business and thus for-profit) and the ones started by a local community "core group" that then goes out and finds a farm to partner with. I'm in New York City and a lot of the CSAs near us seem to incorporate separately (or stay unincorporated associations) and intend to be 501c3s but it doesn't seem like most of them ultimately end up as 501c3 charities or if that is the right tax designation. The IRS told us it thinks the CSAs I called about should be 501(c)(5) organizations (agricultural) but we would love to know if there are other 501(c) CSAs out there and if so what category they called themselves.

jeanne