Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 3 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Farmers markets running a CSA?
Click to reply to this message
  kcrane
  Charleston, WV
Farmers markets running a CSA?    (Posted Thu, Feb 21 '13 at 04:56 UTC)

Hi All,

I work for a statewide farmers market organization and am wondering if anyone here is part of (or knows of) a farmers market that is running a CSA through their market?
I am not just referring to using the market as a drop-off point, but rather as an aggregation point for their vendors - a kind of multi-farm CSA run by the market's board and/or members?
This information would be helpful for various members of a training program we run who have expressed interest in diversifying their market's business structure and moving towards small-scale aggregation using the market as a focal point. This is an intermediate step they are interested in. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly Crane
 Vbrook
 Clarksville
Re: Farmers markets running a CSA?    (Posted Mon, Feb 25 '13 at 08:05 UTC)

Kelly,
In my opinion those farmers running a successful farm CSA are not going to want to lessen their profits for a market based consortium which is not a "CSA" at all. My 2
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Brabo Vesterbrook Farm Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Ps 34:8
 DeRock
 Grand Rapids
Re: Farmers markets running a CSA?    (Posted Mon, Feb 25 '13 at 10:30 UTC)

If you don't know your farmer your not in a CSA!

chimneycreekfarm.com
 Saltoftheearthfarm
 Randolph
Re: Farmers markets running a CSA?    (Posted Fri, Mar 8 '13 at 02:00 UTC)Positive Rank

Hello. I run a CSA (www.humanelyraisedmeat.com), but with respect to your question about farmers market CSA's, the Ravenna, Ohio farmers market is beginning a market share program this year. See the facebook page for more info or contact Kelly Ferry on facebook through the Haymaker Farmers Market page (she manages both markets).

Katrina Perzanowski Kohout, stay at home farmer mom