Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 5 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!
Click to reply to this message
  mackeson71
  Madisonville
Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!    (Posted Sat, Apr 6 '13 at 12:55 UTC)

Horrible horrible service. Received MAYBE 2 lbs of vegetables our second week. Do not buy form these people!!!!

idigbeets
 Laurel Highlands PA
Re: Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!    (Posted Sat, Apr 6 '13 at 01:21 UTC)

Instead of berating them, have you talked to the farmers about why the yields are low? Maybe pest damage or some other unforeseen malady? I'm all for calling out shoddy CSA, but how about more details other than, "I didn't get enough food".

How much are you paying ?

wvhaugen
 Ferndale
Re: Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!    (Posted Sat, Apr 6 '13 at 03:50 UTC)

I agree with idigbeets - specifics please.

Catering to the unique Ferndale perspective.
 Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!    (Posted Mon, Apr 8 '13 at 10:50 UTC)

I also agree with idig beets. A big part of CSA is sharing the risk with the farmer.

Being a CSA member is not like being a member if a buying club that buys and resells produce and other items they buy; this kind of deal doesn't require the consumer to share the risk as there isn't much because there is no farm involved.

If your CSA is a single farm/farmer run CSA it may be that their growing conditions are not the best right now. If your grower is sending out a newsletter or any other communications I certainly hope you read everything the CSA sends to you so you know what's going on. If they are not communication with the members regularly than that is a problem.

I also hope you are telling the farmer that you are not happy as it is impossible for the farmer to make it up to you if he/she doesn't know there is a problem (don't expect people to read your mind). And I certainly hope you did so before trashing them on a public forum

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 farmer brian
 Stoutsville
Re: Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!    (Posted Thu, Apr 11 '13 at 04:16 UTC)

The farm is setting itself up for disaster by promising 10-12 # each week. We let our customers know that we are at the mercy of the weather, no promised amounts.

Vegimitelvr
 Mandeville
Re: Tomkins Farm Covington, LA - Don't buy!!!    (Posted Thu, Aug 1 '13 at 03:43 UTC)

We subscribed to them last year and as the above post stated yields were pounds of field beans and little to nothing else. Some weeks we would get an email that there would nothing at all because of heat and no rain?!?!?. We belonged to another csa as well and never ran into these problems. Would never recommend to a friend.