Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 2 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Limping Calf
Click to reply to this message
  SanYsidroFarms
  Fredericksburg
Limping Calf    (Posted Tue, Apr 5 '11 at 06:20 UTC)

Hey Folks,

I have a sad situation, I bought a jersey milk cow who is "supposedly" two years old. I bought here because I felt so bad from her from a rather conventional beef farm who just happened to have her. I am suspicious they have just been draining the life out of her using her as a surrogate.
I have just ordered de-wormer fit for cows that are nursing and pregnant. She came with a little black Angus they stuck on her side. We just received her yesterday and in noticing how bad off the Jersey was I hardly noticed until this morning that the cow was limping, doesn't look good, dull and is laying in the corner instead of eating much. She does get around but only here and there and I have seen her nurse a bit.
I figure I'll worm her too (its the spread along the back ridge kind) as I must assume they both have worms considering the calf is so close to the mother and the farm they came from is just knee deep in manure everywhere. Terrible.
Any other ideas on how to reinvigorate the calf or what may be wrong with her? I am pretty much going to call a vet to have her look at the two of them today. I have even thought about reporting the farm but I don't know...I feel like this is common place on conventional farms(not all mind you my neighbor farm is conventional and he cares very much for his cows,but you get my drift).
Thanks in advance- Michael

King and Queen County Virginia Based CSA serving the local area, Ashland Fredericksburg and Richmond with fresh produce, quality meats and more grown in the organic fashion.
 SanYsidroFarms
 Fredericksburg
Re: Limping Calf    (Posted Fri, Apr 8 '11 at 02:39 UTC)

Little calf has knocked knees. But...she's better off day by day. We have the wormer, but I looked closely and it says on the side of the bottle "not for dairy cows older than 18 months" jeez!
Not that I'm going into commercial production with her but...its a mine field out there. Anyway I'll sort it out. Of course I've heard of certain soaps you can put in the water daily,and garlic and a few other home remedies.....those will come into place later...I need something strong now.....nip this sh*y in the bud.
However,I think I'll call the company and find out exactly what the above "not for dairy cows...." means before I pour it on today. Mean while good old bag balm liberally applied eases the momma cows discomfort and the little 3 week old calf is milking away. He's not so dull as I had feared...sure enough will get away from you if you get too close but I have a little halter now and I'll just show her who's the most agile around here while she's still young.
Then with a little time we'll have three halter trained cows around the farm and four wild ones.
So there's a little update. I will explain further later as things go on with the wormer and report results.

King and Queen County Virginia Based CSA serving the local area, Ashland Fredericksburg and Richmond with fresh produce, quality meats and more grown in the organic fashion.
 CowLady
 New Auburn
Re: Limping Calf    (Posted Sat, Nov 19 '11 at 07:13 UTC)

How is the cow and calf fairing?

Ranching Cattle Since 1982